2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Start Then Dies

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019 | 08:26 PM
RusticGal89
|
Angry Start Then Dies

I own a 2005 Dodge Durango SLT with the 5.7 Hemi. Back in June as I was leaving Walmart, I got in my Durango and started it, It would start then immediately die right after. It did that 3 times then just wouldn't start at all. Had it towed home figuring it was my aftermarket remote start system since my daughter was fiddling with the key fob. Took the aftermarket out and it still wouldn't start so then i replaced the ECM and checked all the fuses and still no Bingo. So I replaced the ignition switch and still wouldn't start. I'm at a dead end now. Has anyone else had this issue or have a solution to this problem cause im close to throwing C4 into the tank and having a bond fire lol

Old 07-27-2019 | 12:06 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by RusticGal89
I own a 2005 Dodge Durango SLT with the 5.7 Hemi. Back in June as I was leaving Walmart, I got in my Durango and started it, It would start then immediately die right after. It did that 3 times then just wouldn't start at all. Had it towed home figuring it was my aftermarket remote start system since my daughter was fiddling with the key fob. Took the aftermarket out and it still wouldn't start so then i replaced the ECM and checked all the fuses and still no Bingo. So I replaced the ignition switch and still wouldn't start. I'm at a dead end now. Has anyone else had this issue or have a solution to this problem cause im close to throwing C4 into the tank and having a bond fire lol

Has it got fuel? I've seen the fuel level low and it would start due to cavitation from sucking air. If it has fuel, you either have electrical issues or fuel supply issues. Pull the air hose off the throttle body and shoot some starting fluid into it. Have someone start the car. If it runs as long as you're putting fluid into the throttle body, you aren't getting fuel. If it doesn't start, you have an electrical problem.

If it's electrical, there may be a code stored in the computer. I'll warn you though, some of the cam and crank sensors don't set a code as they aren't giving a signal. The computer doesn't always read a lack of signal. If it runs on starting fluid, your fuel pump may have given out. If you have 150K or so, or you consistently run it almost empty before you refuel, it may fail at less. Before you replace the pump though, check your fuel pump relay.There are several identical relays in the power box under the hood. There will be a map on the lid saying which is which.the a/c and fuel pump relays are usually the same. If your a/c is working and you swap the relays and the car starts but the a/c isn't working, you have a bad relay. They are plug and play and run around $20-25. I got a truck once where the fuel pump would quit at times and the guy didn't want to replace the pump. It was hammering from power, then no power rapidly. A new relay and I never had trouble with that again.

Old 07-28-2019 | 12:38 PM
RusticGal89
|

Its getting fuel. We checked the fuel pump. we narrowed it down to somewhere between the ignition switch and ECM that isn't allowing the ECM to send a signal to the Injectors or Coils to start. we found of wiretaps from when my after-market remote start was installed so we are currently removing those and checking for corroded and broken wires.

Old 07-28-2019 | 12:46 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Its getting fuel. We checked the fuel pump. we narrowed it down to somewhere between the ignition switch and ECM that isn't allowing the ECM to send a signal to the Injectors or Coils to start. we found of wiretaps from when my after-market remote start was installed so we are currently removing those and checking for corroded and broken wires.
Ouch, you're into what I always dread. Unless I put it in myself and keep a wiring diagram, I avoid aftermarket alarms and remotes as well as any vehicle where a kit installed then removed an audio system. The wires are always butchered.

Old 07-28-2019 | 12:52 PM
RusticGal89
|

Oh, trust me the next one I get will be a factory one. No more aftermarket. We moved to Arizona so we added one so we could start a cool down the truck before the kids got in. now its turned into my worse nightmare.

Anywho do you think that could cause the truck not to get the signal to the ECM to allow the car to start??

Old 07-28-2019 | 06:45 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Oh, trust me the next one I get will be a factory one. No more aftermarket. We moved to Arizona so we added one so we could start a cool down the truck before the kids got in. now its turned into my worse nightmare.

Anywho do you think that could cause the truck not to get the signal to the ECM to allow the car to start??

There are so many different systems and they each have their quirks. It could be as simple as a bad connection shorting to ground. Grounds are a boon and a bane. Well before the turn of the Century, I used yo rig a toggle switch to ground the primary current to ground as a theft prevention. You can hot wire that till the cows come home (and make a mess on the front lawn) but it won't start.

Quick Reply: Start Then Dies