2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

My mechanic is stumped...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 11:40 AM
b.richard
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My mechanic is stumped...

2006 durango. 4x4. 4.7 v8. 150,000 miles. Auto.

On flat ground runs fine. Going uphill revs way up with very little if any speed increase. If i keep the revs down there is no power to accelerate and I actually start slowing down. Sounds like a classic cat problem but I replaced cats about a year ago. Mechanic says the aftermarket cats "might" be bad and we should replace them with new ones. It's a walker which from what I understand is a good aftermarket brand. I've told him to hold on replacing for now.

No check engine light and no codes.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any other ideas as to what could be wrong?

Old 06-12-2020, 07:12 PM
Berserker1776

my guess, fuel pump

Old 06-12-2020, 10:08 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by b.richard

On flat ground runs fine. Going uphill revs way up with very little if any speed increase. If i keep the revs down there is no power to accelerate and I actually start slowing down. Sounds like a classic cat problem but I replaced cats about a year ago. Mechanic says the aftermarket cats "might" be bad and we should replace them with new ones. It's a walker which from what I understand is a good aftermarket brand. I've told him to hold on replacing for now.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any other ideas as to what could be wrong?

It could be a timing chain jumped a tooth but generally, the 4.7 will hammer the valves if it jumps time. Before I replaced the cat., I'd hook a vacuum gauge to the engine and see what it pulls. With the recent warming of the weather, you might have rodents in the exhaust stopping your gasses from getting out rather that a bad cat.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:39 AM
bigjailerman

Originally Posted by b.richard

I don't know but if the revs are coming up normally without acceleration point more to a torque converter/tranny issue. If the engine/revs spinning up where is the power going... Nowhere it seems. Just my two cents but I world eliminate that issue unless I misunderstood.

Quick Reply: My mechanic is stumped...