2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

06' Suddenly Died, Crank No Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 08:37 PM
aniskoboi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 06' Suddenly Died, Crank No Start

Hello all!

I have an 06' Durango with a 5.7L, AWD/4x4, unsure of transmission. I'm having an issue with starting my vehicle.

I was pulling out of a drive-thru last night and the car just decided to die right then and there. I cycled the key and tried starting it again and it ran for half a second (extremely poorly) and then died again. After that it would just crank but no start. I had some of the restaurant employees push me into the lot but I couldn't rip into it as I had to be back at work. Today I get a code reader onto it and see that I had a P0129, which after reading up about is probably because I didn't let the full crank cycle complete itself when trying to start the car, and it has a brand new map sensor. After clearing I did notice it has a check engine still but my code reader will not let me pull it for whatever reason, and the 3 key cycle trick doesn't work. I was able to look through the diagnostics/live data and I did notice that my ignition timing is set for 64 degrees. I assume this isn't normal? Or could it be because the vehicle is off? I'm getting 5 volts to the Cam sensor, however I'm not sure what specs I'm looking for when doing an ohm check on the sensor itself. I believe the fuel pump is working, however I was unable to tell 100% due to the chime module being loud and annoying. That's about as far as I got however, as I had to get ready for work. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you!

Old 01-24-2023, 09:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

See if you are getting spark. My guess is, you aren't......

Old 02-08-2023, 02:35 PM
shelzmike
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to me similar with the same exact model, though I wasn't rolling when it did. @HeyYou had a good suggestion, and I'll go with the other one - could be fuel pump. That was what mine was. No problems until suddenly, there were. So it didn't gradually run crappy then crap out, just worked fine on the way to the grocery store, then didn't. Easiest test to do for this is to make sure it is as quiet as it can be and get back just before the rear tires and get down and turn the key to just on (but not start). You should hear a wine from the fuel pump. If you don't, it's definitely related to that (though could be wiring, relay, etc). While it isn't necessarily a cheap job (not the most expensive either), in your situation, it would actually be a blessing if you didn't hear it as it would save a lot of A/F/S troubleshooting (air, fuel, spark).

Quick Reply: 06' Suddenly Died, Crank No Start