2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Burning smell though vent?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 06:24 PM
burnt04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Burning smell though vent?

If I was you, I would get this thing to a dealership and insist they replace the whole instrument panel. They may act ignorant, but they will know why. You are driving a timebomb. I think you will see a fairly extensive recall (the second one) very soon for this problem. Check the NHTSA site. Check my post on Monzie's thread.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:03 AM
alienyzf
Professional
Default RE: Burning smell though vent?

What were you doing before it caught on fire? Normal driving? Hard acceleration?

ORIGINAL: burnt04

If I was you, I would get this thing to a dealership and insist they replace the whole instrument panel. They may act ignorant, but they will know why. You are driving a timebomb. I think you will see a fairly extensive recall (the second one) very soon for this problem. Check the NHTSA site. Check my post on Monzie's thread.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:37 AM
just_a_zoo
Default Same problem

Hey. The instrument cluster was a mandatory recall. I have an 06 durango 5.7 and it does the exact same thing. My cluster was changed. This smell is different and only happens when I punch it. I wonder if the exhaust is to hot for a heat shield or something. As far as the cluster goes, if the vehicle has ever been to the dealership since the recall, the would have either a) reprogramed the cluster computer or b) replaced the cluster. You can easily tell by your courtesy lamp. If after you shut the door, the light slowly dimmes after a few seconds, the recall has NOT been done and should be done ASAP as it may cause a fire whiel it is parked (in you garage maybe?!). If it stays on for a few seconds and then just shuts off. the recall was done and you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited by just_a_zoo; 09-02-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:53 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The posts are four years old.....
FF

Old 09-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Ric@rdo

But the problem persists...

I'm having the same issue in my 2008 Durango 4wd Hemi and so far the dealer keep telling that everything is ok. When I bought the car in 2008, this smell wasn't there.

What's going on? Anybody knows??

Old 09-09-2010, 02:58 PM
alienyzf
Professional

Follow up:

Never found out the problem, but did start having wierd things happen last year. After using cruise control engine would surge and stutter and I also had problems with the security system. The PCM seemed likely and would have been covered, but it ended up being the TIPM. It controls the power to the pcm and I suspect that is what is burning all along. It is an expensive part and is only covered til 3/36. From what I understand there is no diagnosic codes for a bad TIPM. After having no customer service from Dodge, I traded both my dodges and drive Toyotas now.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 AM
skinbone

Had the same issue on my O4 SLT 4.7. IT IS COMING FROM THE MANIFOLD GASKET. ONCE YOU WARM IT UP AFTER A DRIVE YOU CAN SEE THE SMOKE COMING OUT OF THE GASKET.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:11 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I would check the manifold studs as they are prone to break in the 4.7L,
FF

Quick Reply: Burning smell though vent?