2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

Are these mechanics right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 06:46 PM
justin45nwcc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these mechanics right?

My 1998 Dodge Intrepid died yesterday while driving down the interstate. It acted like it just ran out of gas. It would turn over but would not re-crank.The mechanic just called and said the fuel pump was actually pumping too much gas and the spark plugs were filed down to nothing.Toget it back runningwould require an EGR valve, MAF sensor, and new spark plugs. Does this make since? I do not understand why these things would cause a car just to die. Any suggestions or insight would be great. I am going to the dealership tomorrow and changing the plugs myself (saving $140) but was wondering if there is anything else I could try since the other mentioned parts will not be delivered until Wednesday. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: Are these mechanics right?

is he guessing or did he see if there was any codes??? to much gas mechanicly would throw a fuel system lean. Egr is for driving down the road not starting.MAF is Mass Air Flow sensor and well all chryslers but crossfire use speed density and does not use mass air flow sensors. U have a MAP, thats the only thing close to a MAF sensor. Humm spark plugs unless fouled out would just make ut run bad not run a all. Did u take it to some back water shop??

Old 06-08-2007, 07:53 PM
justin45nwcc

Nope, the local Dodge dealership. They supposedly hooked it up to diagnostics and these things coded out. The check engine light comes on at times and I have been just not worrying about it because the car has continued to run fine and the light will go off eventually. The mechanic still could not give me a reason why my car just died. Through my investigations on here I am leaning toward the MAP sensor (mechanic said Mass Air flow sensor though as you have informed me and The Holy Grail implied, this car doesn't have one of these). Any suggestions on getting it to crank though. I am changing the plugs tomorrow. What else should I try?

Old 06-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

what are the code thay told u that was in there?

Old 06-08-2007, 09:02 PM
justin45nwcc

He is supposed to call me back with the actual codes but he said it was for the EGR valveand MAP sensor.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:42 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

The EGR was prob going bad and causing the ck engine light in the past, other than poor emmisions, a EGR won't usualy cause problems, it could cause the pulgs to foul though and therefor loss of preformance. The MAP will cause the engine to die and not restart if it sticks, but you can drive it away from the dealer and change it your self for a LOT less$. Just unplug the sensor, and your computer will use a default value allowing the engine to start and run (if you stomp on the gas, it will run poor in this "limp home mode"). The sensor costs about $45 and you canremove it by hand inless than 1 min!I have had 2 go bad on me so far (the original and one after market one that failed only after 1 year of use).

Old 06-10-2007, 02:56 PM
justin45nwcc

Well...... after I changed the plugs, air filter, and MAP sensor it is running like a dream again. Well, maybe not a dream but pretty damn good for a 10 yr old car with 150k. Thanks for all of y'alls help. Until next time.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:26 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Glad to hear it! Just remember where it is (the MAP) and to disconnect it if it reoccursbecause like I said, they do seem to stick after a while. I think the next time one goes bad, I will break it open to see just what is going on in there.

Quick Reply: Are these mechanics right?