2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

2.7 stalling problem,,,,help

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:09 PM
ratman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7 stalling problem,,,,help

ok, I,m new here so could anyone help me out? I have just purchased a 2000 intrepid with the 2.7 motor. What it is doing is if you start it up cold you can drive it for as long as you like, BUT if you shut it off and let it sit for an hour it sometimes will start but then die in a very short time like a minite or less then it will not start or even try to, or it won't fire up at all. But if it sits for a long time like 4 hours to overnight it starts right up and runs fine until you shut it off for the hour or so like before. First I thought it was the fuel pump going out so I replaced it and it still does it. Then I had an oil leak that was from the oil sending unit and replaced that thinking it was seeing low oil pressure and shutting off the engine but nope that wasn't it either. Also when it doesn't want to start I opened the airbox and gave it a light shot of starting fluid and it wanted to start but wouldn't so this tells me it is fuel related. also one time when it wouldn't fire I took my air hose and blew air under the intake plenum at the back of the motor thinking it might be vapor locking and I then tried it and it fired up and ran. But I don't know if this was a fluke or if I cooled something down enough to allow it to work.Like I said when it dies it shuts off right away and doesn't cut out or sputter it just dies. I read some other posts but nothing really had any trial and error like I have attempted so maybe this could help someone to determine my problem ...Please let me know thanks.....Steve

Oh also it has 116k miles , also I see no check engine light saying there is a problem when this happens...thanks

Old 06-13-2007, 02:12 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2.7 stalling problem,,,,help

Of course it could be a number of problems as I'm sure you are aware but my favorite to point out is the MAP sensor as I have had too many problems in the past. To check it is quite simple, just unplug it and see if it starts. If so, replace it (your PCM will use a default vaule for a "limp home mode" if it is disconnected. With it it can start and run with a light load). If this is not your problem, let me know and I will try to help brainstorm other ideas.
Kurt

Old 06-20-2007, 01:39 AM
ratman

Well iit isn't the map sensor...It did it again tonight after sitting an hour and a half and when it quit I unplugged the MAP sensor and it would't even fire ...Let it sir for another 45 min and it fired right up,,,go figure I guess I will try replacing the crank sensor unless anyone has any better ideas,,,thanks.......

Old 06-20-2007, 03:43 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

When it's not able to start, have you checked to see if you have a spark? If so, it could be fuel or maybe timming related. If not, it's in the ignition. It's a good starting point to go from.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:20 PM
ratman

Just a follow up for anyone that might have the same problem. I ended up replacing the crank sensor and so far a week later it has not quit on me once. I have let it sit several times and started it back up and no problems yet. Usually it was more evident after sitting for an hour and a half and that is when it would quit the most. So like I said so far so good....Thanks to all for the advice and posting similar problems in other topics it saved me a bunch of money and headaches!!!!!!! Steve

Quick Reply: 2.7 stalling problem,,,,help