2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

Hiccup at idle and acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 04:02 AM
djwendt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hiccup at idle and acceleration

New to the forum, and looking forward to good info. I am on my second Intrepid. First was a 98, ES model great car, not a lot of major problems. I am on my second Intrepid, a 2001 ES, 3.2L. I am having a problem with idiling and upon accelerating. There is a "hiccup" that occurs on a fairly regular basis. There is no check engine light. I did replace the plugs when I bought the car and wanted to get opinion on the possibility of a faulty spark plug. If not what else would you suggest looking into that would cause this. Thanks for all the great information.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:38 AM
decimon
Default RE: Hiccup at idle and acceleration

2001 Intrepid R/T, 3.5 liter. One occasion of some engine 'stumbling' when starting to leave a parking lot. That was a day after adding some fuel cleaner, not having used any for a few years. Probably some loosened gunk going through the injectors.

Maybe your injectors are starting to clog.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

was there a prob b4 u replaced the plugs?? if no what was the plugs u put in?

Old 07-01-2007, 05:57 PM
djwendt

I only had the car for about a week before I replaced the plugs, and really didnt notice. I replaced them with ac delco. I just purchased bosch super plus, have yet to put them in. I have noticed it more. But it is also been real hot here and using the ac more as well.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:24 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

install champions and get the other plugs out. let me know if they go away after that

Old 07-02-2007, 02:52 AM
djwendt

Cool, I will take what I have back and get champions. Will update after I drive it a while with new plugs.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:45 PM
hottiearchitect

I know this is a late response but I just joined. I owned a new2000 Intrepid which did this constantly and it was very annoying. This car was completely recalled after about 13 months of ownership because of that and many other problems which were not fixed with continued visits to the dealership (they did try hard but everything just went to heck, major lemon) I made a deal with Chrysler on a new 2001 Intrepid and this car sometimes hiccups or lunges so I am pretty sure this is anIntrepid thing. At 69,700 miles the 2001 started lunging a lot worse than usual. My husband finally noticed it (you know these problems never happen when someone else drives your car - ugh) and we took it in for a transmission check (we had a transmission go out once and it seemed to be acting similar). The dealership suggested a $200 spark plug change and it actually helped.I don't know if the Intrepid does a number on the spark plugs or what but the dealership seemed to know very quickly what the problem was, like they have had it happen before.

Quick Reply: Hiccup at idle and acceleration