2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

electrical problems - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:07 PM
hottiearchitect
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical problems - HELP!!

New to this forum because I need help!! Before I ask my dealership I want some input from people here. My 2001 Intrepid has 71,000 miles. Recently when the lights are on the interior dash lights and clock radio flicker. The flicker is worse when the radio is on or the heater/ac is on. Basicly if you are using the electrical systemthe flicker will worsen. The headlights do not appear to be flickering. Haven't found anything about this particular problem on the forum unless I missed it.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:39 AM
rcm1989
Default RE: electrical problems - HELP!!

I have had this problem. The lights come get real bright then dim down, or go off completely just for a second. I have not addressed this issue. It doesn't seem to affect the cars ability to drive. I have found if you turn the car off it will reset itself. I have 190k and still going.....probability a loose wire.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:38 AM
hottiearchitect

Thanks for your input. How long has your car been doing this? Idid turn on the lights this morning on the way to work and it didn't doanything - maybe it resetas you said. My coworkers are convinced it is an alternator issue and that was my first thought but if it isn't affecting the headlights I really doubt it could be that. It hasn't hesitated to start either - I have had alternators go out and you don't have any warning - the car just doesn't charge the battery and you have to jump it, I believe a short more than I believe the alternator.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:20 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

It could be a loose/bad common ground to the effected systems.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:39 PM
decimon

My 2001 R/T has that flicker when the rotary dimmer switch is at the brightest setting but before going into the first detent position. The problem doesn't occur immediately but after a while. My solution has been to rotate the switch down a bit.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:50 AM
TCPMeta

Take off the switch and clean the contacts. If that doesn't work then you have a bad battery cable somewhere. I had to replace the battery cables in my trep including ground cables for the engine and such.

Quick Reply: electrical problems - HELP!!