2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

2000 2.7 asd relay always off

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:37 PM
albinoone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 2.7 asd relay always off

I purchased a 2000 Intrepid for my daughter as a fixer upper and installed a low miliage engine. The previous one had thrown a couple of rods due to lack of PCV system care by the previous owner. After engine installation the car would not start (cranked fine) and after scanning it I found that the ecm was not communicating with the rest of the system modules. I installed another ecm and had the vin and mileage loaded by the local Dodge dealership. They also scanned it and found no codes but it still will not start. The cam and crank sensors are working all the way back to the ecm and the cam timing and flywheel position are correct and verified. The asd relay is not being grounded by the ecm and so there is no spark or fuel after the initial two second fuel supplied when the key is first turned on. I currently have the wiring system accessible since I'm weatherproofing the electrical plugs with dielectric grease.Ohming out the wiring has told me that the ecm is the focal point of the non grounding issue (no power to fuse S and T). I need to know what inputs to the ecm would tell it not to energize the ASD relay that would also not set a DTC code. I think it's going to be a fuel pump problem but don't see how it would know there is a problem with the fuel system when there are only two wires running the pump. Does theecm monitor the voltage draw to the pump or have a fuel system monitor somewhere to tell the ecm not to allow engine operation? This car is not equipped with SKIS or SKIM so it's not an issue. I'm handy, but this one has me stumped. Please help!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: 2000 2.7 asd relay always off

unplug teh cam sensor and start the car it may take 10 seconds to start up. IF it does then u installed a cam tone wheel on a system that is not compatable..

Old 11-09-2007, 11:24 PM
albinoone

I will try that tommorrow or as soon as I get the dash wiring hooked back up. I don't even get fire to fuse S and T with just the key turned on and everything I've read says I should have that before even trying to crank the engine. The engine I put in is an 03 with ALL the sensors changed to the 2000 configuration (complete top hat with 2000 injectors, oxy sensors, coolant temp, cam, crank, knock, etc.). I do have the old blown engineand can change a cam sensor wheel if thats what it takes. Thanks for your help and I'll keep you abreast of my results.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:32 AM
albinoone

Didn't get the wiring checked out and back together till this morning (ecm, tcm, dash, power distribution center). I tried what you said and it started. I guess I'll pull the drivers valve cover in a little bit and see what it will take to install the old tone wheel on the cam. I assume that the wheels are a totally different design since I do have the old 2003 cam sensor but I believe I tried it before with the same no start condition. Well, if nothing else I sure know a lot more about the car now than before. I was thinking about changing the front seal anyway so maybe it's for the best. Thank you very much!!![sm=deal.gif]

Quick Reply: 2000 2.7 asd relay always off