2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

2.7 to 3.2 Swap--No Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:45 AM
race21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7 to 3.2 Swap--No Start

We just completed our second 2.7 to 3.2/3.5 swap. This swap was to a 3.2 in a 2000 Concorde. We went to start it today and we have nothing. When you turn the key, the check engine light icon doesn't light up in the dash, so I don't think the pcm is getting power for some reason. The pcm isn't telling th starter relay to engage the starter. I have power going to the starter and the distribution box for the fuses and relays from the battery. I even checked for power at the box and it is present there. When I turn the key I do have some lights in the dash, seatbelt light and some others that aren't pcm related I guess. I'm wondering if there ispcm ground or something. I have very generic wiring diagrams that are not very detailed. Which wires or pins does the pcm receive power? Do you have any ideas? I did the swap the same way we did thefirst swap which was a 3.5 into a 2002 Intrepid and didn't have any problems with that.Thanks for any help!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Jyro
Default RE: 2.7 to 3.2 SwapNo Start

Which wiring harness are you using?

Old 07-16-2008, 07:42 PM
status1
Default RE: 2.7 to 3.2 SwapNo Start

I am not an expert on Dodge cars but from general knowledge and common sense I don't think the PCM has any control over the starter. There is nothing the PCM can control before the engine is started.
One thing you may want to look at is the security system.
Some cars have an ignition key that has a chip and only the key
made for the car can start the engine.
If you don't have the right key or the chip somehow malfunctions you will not be able to start the car
You can open the door and turn the ignition key and maybe play the radio but the ignition will not work

Old 09-21-2010, 04:45 PM
fonz6800
Default check crankshaft sensor

I had the same problem with my engine swap in my 2000 intrepid. It turned out to be the crank sensor wire was cut. That is one thing to check also.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:39 PM
fonz6800

I had the same problem when I change engine from 2.7 to 3.2, it turned out to be the crank sensor wire was cut. I had a new crank sensor installed and engine started. That is thing to check to make sure it is good.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:03 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

If you don't have the right key or the chip somehow malfunctions you will not be able to start the car
You can open the door and turn the ignition key and maybe play the radio but the ignition will not work
With Chryslers that use encoded keys and SKIS, they'll start and run for about 1.5 Seconds.

As for the problem, really hard to say what might have got botched to cause this. Is the starter relay exciter terminal getting power when you hold the key in the crank position (terminal #85 or 86, can't remember which is ground and which is power)? Is there battery voltage at Terminal #30?

That's going to be your starting point. From there, you can determine if it's an ignition switch issue, a power supply issue or a ground issue. The PCM has nothing to do with it. The car will crank with the PCM completely removed.

I Don't mean to be abrasive, but if you can't diagnose a no-crank condition, you really have no business doing that kind of engine swap. Sorry. I'll help if I can here, but I'd suggest becoming much more familiar with the electrical systems before attempting this again.

Quick Reply: 2.7 to 3.2 Swap--No Start