2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

2001 Intrepid Starting Problem. Can it be a switch in the steering column

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:55 PM
johncorvette
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Intrepid Starting Problem. Can it be a switch in the steering column

2001 Intrepid Starting Problem. This is a 2.7 litre engined a/c car with most common power options. The car has run great since new. LATELY IT STARTED DOING SOMETHING STRANGE WHEN I TRY TO START IT. I turn the key and nothing happens. Initially it eems like a dead battery but all the dash lights etc come on and work fine. It is a good battery and the terminals are all clean and I can find nothing wrong with the electrical system. If I turn the key off and try to restart it again it usually starts perfectly. It went this way for a while and now sometimes it takes three, four, five, six or more cycles of the key to get the thing to turn over and start. I had the starter off and checked the starter and starter selenoid. They tested just fine and always worked first time on the bench. I have had a number of bad starter selenoid problems on other cars and boats over the past 40 years and this sure does not act like a bad selenoid. I also replaced the small multi-pinned starter relay in the under hood fuse panel and still no change. My question is this: "Is there some secondary or second switch someplace in the steering column that may be going?" When you turn the key on the steering column what actually happens to transfer the twisting mechanical action of turning the ignition key to transfer this into an electrical signal to the starter relay and to the starter selenoid. I am unable to find out what actually sends the electrical signal to the starter relay and then on to the selenoid and starter. Can someone please clue me in regarding how this system works? Is there a switch somewhere in the steering column that could be going bad on me? Any comments and / or suggestions will be appreciated

Old 09-01-2008, 08:54 PM
fonz6800

Try having your ignition switch checked that maybe bad

Old 07-02-2010, 12:27 PM
JDale
Default Intrepid starting problem

I`m having the same problem with my 1999 Intrepid. Was it your ignition switch.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Cathy's Dodge

I am also having this problem. Has anyone provided an answer yet?

Old 04-03-2012, 12:22 AM
tketches
Default 1998 Intrepid with same problem

I am new to a 1998 Intrepid. About mid way on a marathon drive from California to New Mexico stopped at a rest stop and turned off engine. On attempting restart: all the panel lights came on with key at the run position. Move key to start: all panel lights go out, and no start, seems as if the entire electrical system is dead. Several attempts end up with same result. I jockeyed with the stick shift a bit, then it cranked and started quickly. This happened again a few hundred miles later.

Back in New Mexico, Checked battery connections just in case...everything tight. short drives around town and no such problem. Now I associate the problem with long drives and maybe the shifter.

Ideas?????

Old 05-23-2012, 09:14 PM
deezozdodge
Professional

Check and adjust your shift cable, either column or floor shifters. The column type have a shift cable adjuster lock. The floor type have a nut on the outer side end by the shifter. Check Haynes manual.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:20 PM
stacymartin0104
Default Did anyone figure out the problem yet to the first post?

My car is doing the same thing..when I go to start it all dash lights come on but not cranking over at all like when the battery is dead. I really need this fixed asap. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: 2001 Intrepid Starting Problem. Can it be a switch in the steering column