2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

99 Dodge intrepid questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:39 PM
chrishalling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with the shaking. Make sure you check the inner tie rod bushings that are mounted to the cv axle behind the throttle body and egr tube. You will need to remove the air filter housing and resonator to see them. The mechanics who i have taken the car to for inspections have both told me that if you put the car on jackstands and shake the tire and it has play in it then the bushings are shot. Sounds like that may be it bc our intrepid has a few thousand more miles on it but same symptoms. Hope this helps.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:47 AM
04aveols5204

About 8,000 miles and a couple of tune ups later...

Well I had forgotten about this web site. My laptop ended up dying due to the charging port breaking. I just lost everything in the laptop as I dont have a way to power it up.

As stated above, the car now has 8000 miles more than when I originally posted and this is what I gather now.

I am still throwing codes P1684,P0340 and P0160. I have not gotten the O2 sensors nor the camshaft position sensor, which is most likely why the car is still throwing those codes. The wierd thing is, there are times when the light turns off, and will stay off then come on intermittently while driving. This leads me to believe that the parts are good, but just some loose ends. Any takers?

The wheel shake is now being noticed at 60 MPH and above, and now it doesnt matter whether there is load or not. Below 60 MPH I dont notice a thing, other than the steering wheel being extremely loose (about 1 to 1 1/2" of play). I need to jack it up like chrishalling stated and see if those bushing are the cause of this. I was also leaning toward the entire strut, being that its not holding the tire firmly on the ground, and allowing it to bounce, creating that shake.

Now...the stupid blower fan just quit. I dug inside the car's fuse box and circuit breakers, and I did not find a thing wrong. IF you turn the fan ****, all you can hear is the little door motor whirring, but no fan. Has anyone had any experience replacing those on this car, and if so...how much?

I found this site again...and now i need to get that darn car running back up again. Thanks all for your help so far, as well as your continued assitance!

Pete

Old 11-26-2009, 09:14 AM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

With all these problems, it's no wonder why Chrysler is struggling. I'll bet that Aveo won't have half the problems. As for your computer, you can replace the charger socket. I did that on mine. the kids knocked my lap top down and broke off the charger socket. I found a replacement socket from a electronic supplier for $20 with shipping. I took apart the computer and soldered the new socket. Works great again.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:14 PM
04aveols5204

If I had the money and the knowledge to do it myself I would have done that and gotten rid of this desktop. I just dont know how to solder it.

And your right....my 04 Aveo has almost 105,000 miles on it now and it does not have ANY problems. Just did the brakes and rotors on it. Timing belt replaced at 90,000 (and still looked good!). Need a tune up, a new fuse for the pass mirror/Cig lighter circuit and new tires, but thats about it. I never liked chrysler vehicles that much...even the 85 Chrysler New Yorker we had was just too troublesome!

Quick Reply: 99 Dodge intrepid questions