2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

99 Dodge intrepid questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:51 PM
04aveols5204
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Dodge intrepid questions

Hello all, new here. Have done some searching around, no luck finding answers.

My wife just got a 99 Dodge Intrepid and it seems to have lots of problems. I am a pretty good DIYer, so Here goes...

First off, How do you get the stupid lenses off the front dome lamps to replace the bulbs? Its so dark getting into the car and the only lights that work are in the back seat.

Is this car's computer like GM's? I know some cars (including an old 85 Chrysler New Yorker as well as old 95 Chevy Silverado) you can trip a jumper or flip the key on and off 3 times to get it to flash you the codes. I can not find anything about it on this car. I know some GMs 99 and up have the new OBDII, is this car similar and will I need a scan tool to get the codes?

I have noticed a very bad shudder that seems to come from the front of the car when driving. It only happens when the car is coasting at speed, and you can somewhat feel the vibration through the wheel, although the entire car seems to be suddering. The only way to get it to stop is if you speed up or apply the brake. Any one else have this issue?

Finally, The coolant tank on this car seems to have cracked along the seams, as my wife called me one day saying that the car is over heating. I have not had luck finding this at any auto place and I really dont want to go to dodge to get it (read: $$$$$!!!). Are there any universals that have worked in this car?

Thanks in advance for your answers...Just trying to get this car running great for my baby.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:14 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Welcome Pete.

!st go to the top of the 2nd gen forum and see the post "the holy grail" You will find a link to a 02 service manual (close enough). In it, you will learn how to get out those tricky bulbs and the key method (yes it works and yes 99 do use ODBII (btw, I think there is a newer standard now...came out a few years ago).

As for the shudder, I don't think its wheel balance or tire related (you should usually start with these) because you mention the load/coast issue. I'd lean toward a bad axel halfshaft. It could also be struts (bad mount), or tierods (but tie rods usually are felt in the steering wheel).

As for the coolant tank, I found one on ebay motors (see link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-DO...4506.m20.l1116) for $20 + shipping. Look at the picture first and make sure its the one you need.

Kurt

Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Just noticed, the ebay site had a note:

"IN AN EFFORT TO BRING YOU THE BEST POSSIBLE PRICES, WE OFTEN USE "GENERIC" PHOTOS THAT ARE MEANT TO DEPICT THE PART TYPE ONLY"

Also, these are used parts but if you don't have a local junk yard, its an inexpensive option.

Kurt

Old 04-05-2009, 11:40 PM
04aveols5204

Kurt, Thanks alot for the info. I still have yet to check the balancing on the tires, and as for the tires themselves, they are still good. I will also get under the car and check out the half-shaft, struts and tie-rods. I have helped with the replacement on the tie-rods on a Porsche 944, so I am somewhat experienced in that. I assume that since the car has a V6 Engine that faces forward, the Intrepid is RWD. (you can tell I know nothing on this car and havent checked it out as well)... In any case, are the half-shafts hard to replace?

I will check out "the holy grail" and try to get the codes off the computer. I will post them here if I cant get them resolved.

Kurt, your a real help. Thanks alot man.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:26 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

You’re welcome. I think you will be in for a surprise when you get under the car...as far as I know, all Intrepids are FWD with a forward mount engine. The axel half shafts (aka CV's) come out of the side of the trany.

They can be a bit hard to get off the transmission. They have a spring "c-clip" in the spine area. They are supposed to pry off, but on my 97 left side, it took two of us, a brass hammer and brass rod (along with WD40 AND on a car lift). The right side went easy on me and popped right of (as it should). Jack stands may not be enough for this job if the clip is sticking, but you could try. Worst case, you have to put it all back together and bring into a shop (unless you have access to a lift as I did). A word of caution... if you do attempt it, do not pull outward on the CV (or the inner tripod) joints. If you do and you end up having to put it back together, it may not be roadworthy at all after separating the joint. Then you would need to have it towed to a shop.

Kurt

Old 04-07-2009, 04:30 PM
04aveols5204

Well, Dodge has always been one for changing design...FWD car with a Forward Facing engine....I stand corrected.

Anyways, I found out alot about the car by that manual. "The Holy Grail" really has everything and stuff I am still trying to hunt down (such as why the rear driver door will not lock/unlock with the remote or door locks and why the mechanism just screams).

The codes I was able to get off the computer is P1684, P0340, and P0160. P1684 is the default code, or "Battery has been disconnected within the last 50 Starts". P0340 says "Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit - A rationality error has been detected for loss of camshaft position sensor." P0160 says "2/2 O2 Sensor stays at center - Neither rich or lean condition is detected from the oxygen
sensor."

So I guess I will have to dig in the car and make sure that all the wiring is secure and still in good condition. I might actually replace the O2 sensor, as the car has close to 120,000 miles. That is about $75.99, but Checker Auto (which is now Oreilly Auto Parts) says that I need 2???? The Camshaft Position Sensor itself is only at max $56.00. So, worst case senario, I might just have to replace 2 sensors.

As for the half-shaft, I might tackle that someday, but then again I might take it to a shop. I Dont want to take the chance of messing up the transmission.

Kurt, you have been a great help. Thanks alot.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:54 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

You’re welcome.

As for the FWD design, I think Mercedes came out with it first, but it's pretty cool. All the benefits of FWD, and all the room of a normaly mounted engine!

As for the O2 sensor, the 2/2 refers to bank 2 sensor 2. You can find it in the book which is which (eg up/down stream, left, /right side...total of 4). They are expensive to replace all at once, so if you can get away with the one only, I'd do it to make the $$ last.

I'd at least keep a CAM sensor on hand if you are getting a code. They are easy to change on the road, but if it craps out altogether and you don't have one in the glove box...

Last, I didn't mean to infer the trany would be ruined if you pulled on the CV/tripod joint. I think the only to mess up the trany, would be to damage the spines on the stub shaft, If you do the job, just follow the instructions in the shop manual.

PS On a side note...every vehicle I own/have owned, I buy a shop manual from the manufacture. I usually call the 800 directory (1 800 555 1212), get the 800 # I need, and order the shop manual (about $100). It has EVERY wire/connector (unlike Chilton’s only show the ends) and much more. I don't know who left the "Holy Grail” behind, but I saw it one day. I just let people know because it's there and many don't look or see it. Good luck with your wife’s car and let me know if you need help in the future.

Kurt

Old 04-08-2009, 09:06 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Pete, I just saw this post about an 01 with a blown 2.7 He is parting it out...it may have the same coolant tank, and you may get a better deal. See the link https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-i...pid-parts.html

Old 04-09-2009, 06:12 PM
04aveols5204

Very nice design. That could also be the reason why I never see the tires spin when I put the gas to the floor from a dead stop. (too used to driving the Aveo, which only has a 4 cyl so it doesnt do anything.) In any case, I believe it will be easy to maintain this car...and the best part...IT HAS A TIMING CHAIN!!! I have come to hate Timing Belts, as that is what my Aveo has. Wouldnt have been too bad if it wasnt an interference engine.

Back to the Intrepid: So you mean to tell me that this car actually has 4 O2 SENSORS?! I really need to get under the car and take a look. If so, I will just replace that one. Maybe that will get the engine light to turn off long enough (hopefully forever) to do the state inspection that is required in Texas.

I will put together a small toolkit like the one I have in my Aveo LS (which consists mainly of my tools that belong in my house...lol) and I will keep a Cam sensor in there just in case. Its pretty cheap. Speaking of my Aveo, I need to get a proper service manual for it too.

I will go over the manual again to see if the half-shaft replacement is a job I can do. I still dont feel too comfortable, but I might be able to do it. I will post the results here.

Kurt, thanks again for the link. I posted a message for some parts that I could use. We will see how that goes. I guess now that I know more about the Intrepid, I tend to like it a little more.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

I have a 97 with the 3.5. Although it has a timing belt, I love the car and will never part with it. It's fast, handles great, looks good, rides great, and has the ES package it has enough bells & whistles (for back in the day when it was new...now there's so much more out there like built in GPS).

As for the O2 sensors, yes; 6cyl has 4 and 4cyl has 2. When my O2 started to go out, I ran a good gas cleaner (it stated on bottle that it would help O2 sensors specifically...not all did state this). This cleared up the light for the next 1K miles or so, but I did eventually change it. Since then, I have replaced one more (both were up stream). As of yet, the other 2 are holding in with 120K on the car. (yes, I know, low miles!

As for your Aveo shop manual, GM uses "Helm Publications" Phone # 800 551 4123 http://www.helminc.com/helm/publication.asp

Good luck in getting your parts, good timing for you that he's parting out!

Kurt

Quick Reply: 99 Dodge intrepid questions