Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

parking lights not going off

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 04:03 PM
darkwing729
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kurt,
I must say I really appreciate all of your help with this car. I have one quick question though. Would you say that the BCM is the "brain" of the car?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:02 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

You’re welcome. Did you get it resolved?

As for the BCM, no the BCM (Body Control Module) is the "brain" of lights, bells (& whistles!) though. It is also responsible for the alarm, gauges, trip computer, climate control etc.

The PCM (Power Control Module) is more what people think of when they think the brain. It is the computer that will make the car run or not and was the first type of computer integration done in cars. Only in later years did the BCM & TCM (Transmission Control Module) come along.

I think of the BCM as a “catch all” for anything not covered by the PCM or TCM. I also think of it as removing some of the workload from the PCM. In theory, one computer could do it all.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:46 PM
darkwing729

Hey Kurt,
Would the BCM cause the car to not start? It was hard to start already but now it won't start at all. I'm getting fire but it won't turn over. Also, I
can not figure out how to get the BCM out. I checked "the holy grail" but that is really not helping as far as how to get it out. I've taken apart near bout the whole dash to get this thing out. never mind I figured it out. but it still won't turn over

Last edited by darkwing729; 04-19-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:29 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

If you are getting a spark, then no. The BCM does get involved with the built in security (if installed) called the VTSS, and you have a smart key, but I believe those electronically disable the engine (but I’m not sure). You have fire so I’d ay no, however check to see if the LED for the VTSS on the dash goes out.(it should come on, if installed, for a few second as a self test). As for the BCM, it can be troubleshot with a DRB III (expensive dealer tool…about $6K used). It may be worth a few bucks to have a dealer run a check on it for you…then you will know for sure.

Quick Reply: parking lights not going off