2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

Will a Concorde 2.7 interchange with an Intrepid 2.7?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:24 PM
JonDaytona
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Will a Concorde 2.7 interchange with an Intrepid 2.7?

Ok, so I'm having issues with a 1998 Intrepid that my buddy got a 2001 Concorde 2.7 and I'm not sure if I can make it work. I had pulled the 2.7 from the Intrepid and set it next to the Concorde donor to find many things slightly different. No biggie, I started to change over the engine harnesses to find the injectors look different and some sensors too. Now, I see that the 2001 Concorde engine has no emissions either while the 1998 Intrepid has an EGR system. Ok, now I guessed that I have to change exhaust manifolds too. Now I'm changing intakes, valve covers, engine harnesses, exhaust manifolds, but find one more problem. I notice the knock sensor doesn't plug into the other harness so I figured I'd change that. Well, after a little research, I find that I would have to pull a head off to get to that knock sensor and they don't even look like they mount the same way! One style screws into the engine like a pipe plug while the other has some kind of stud with a nut holding it on! Does anyone know what I'm talking about here with these two engines? Are these Knock sensors interchangeable or can I splice the wires to the harness and it will work to avoid pulling a head? Can I, or should I even do this swap? Should I tell my buddy he needs to get the PROPER engine? Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 05-12-2009, 07:12 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Wow!

I have never tried a swap, but it has always been my understanding they are interchangeable engines, tranny, etc with only a few minor differences. I own the actual service manual from Mopar and even their shop manual (97) has Intrepid, LHS, Concord, & Vision on the cover of the book. The trim of the interior is a bit different for example, and they show the different steps for the Concord. There are no differences in the engine though.

I decided to check with Auto Zone on line, and both of those cars use the same knock sensor part number. I ran them as you specified a 01 Concord, and a 98 Intrepid. The part # for both engines was the same, Duralast SU3144.

I have included a photo of the sensor from their web page. Maybe somebody modified one of them? Let me know what you think,

Kurt

Attached Thumbnails Will a Concorde 2.7 interchange with an Intrepid 2.7?-clip_image002.jpg  
Old 05-12-2009, 07:48 PM
JonDaytona

I see your point there, but why all of the differences I've found on this Intrepid motor? The sensor you pictured is the one from the Concorde where-as the one from this Intrepid is a design similar to a "banjo" fitting, like that of a brake hose at the front calipers. I'm stumped! Would the fact that this Intrepid is a Chrysler, not a Dodge, and I believe it might have been a Canadian car have anything to do with it???

Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Ah, I think that explains it! I think it's due to being Canadian. That would also explain no EGR valve because I thought all US cars had EGR since the 90's.

As for Chrysler vs Dodge, no. Like I said before, the book is the same, the parts are the same etc. There are only minor differences.

Being the probable difference is the country issue, I'm not sure the knock sensor would swap over. You could try an ohm meter and see if its resistance value is similar and if so, give it a shot.

Let me know how it goes,

Kurt

PS I looked it up and you can determine if it's from Canada by the first position of the VIN. 1=US, 2=Canada.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:36 PM
JonDaytona

Once again, I appreciate your help! I will do as you suggested, probably over the weekend. I'll see what I come up with and let you know.....

Old 05-14-2009, 12:00 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Are you sure of the engine size on the Intrepid? I did some more looking and found a few different styles base on the size.

First is Duralast SU379 for the 3.5 engine. It is banjo like and with the connector it would like it. A 98 did not come with a 3.5 that I am aware of though.

The 98 did come with the 3.2 and I think this is your sensor. It is Duralast SU3069 for the 3.2 engine. This is the more "banjo like" of the two.

Could it be the engine is not original to the car or your friend didn’t know which engine he had? Also did you ever verify the country origin via the VIN #?

As for their function, they are piezo electric elements that generate voltage from mechanical energy. In other words, the more motion, the greater the signal. I’m not sure a simple ohm test would be enough. I read that the “Wells Engine Management Test Sheets” contains test values for these sensors. I’m pretty sure most auto part stores have this info. You could look up the part numbers I gave you and see if they have the same test values (without having to remove the sensors from the engine).

I have attached the 3.2 knock sensor images. Let me know if this is what you have. If not I will send the 3.5 image.

Kurt

PS If you do remove a knock sensor, it is important to use the correct torque when installing it, or it w/n function correctly!

Attached Thumbnails Will a Concorde 2.7 interchange with an Intrepid 2.7?-clip_image004.jpg  
Attached Images     

Last edited by kurts2; 05-14-2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-14-2009, 05:52 PM
JonDaytona

For some stupid reason I can't get through the AutoZone website, so I looked it up through AdvanceAutoParts website. Basically, what you found is what I'm talking about. These are the sensors that are from AdvanceAuto's site....

1998 Dodge Intrepid 2.7L Knock Sensor (BWD #S8674):

2002 Chrysler Concorde 2.7L Knock Sensor (BWD #S8791):

These are the two sensors that I have between the two motors and I'm not sure if I can change them out to make this engine swap work right on the original computer. I will do as you've instructed and let you know what I come up with. I just can't believe that the Concorde and the Intrepid were set up so much different like this!

Old 05-15-2009, 12:07 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

O.K. in your original post you listed a 01 2.7 and that had the same knock sensor. I just looked up the 02 and sure enough , they changed the sensor!

In an 02 (2.7) it’s a Duralast SU3217 and it has the “banjo” look. I t doesn’t appear they changed it because of the vehicle, but due to the year. In the 01 Concord, the sensor was the same as the older 2.7 Intrepid. Maybe they changed styles to make it more uniform across all their engines.

Regardless, the question still remains; will it work with the computer? Other than “plug-and-play”, the Wells test data info may be your best shot. Let us all know what you find, and best of luck to you.

Kurt

P.S. After reviw of this post, I must add/point out, the 2002 sensor still has a different p/n but a similar look to the 3.2 engine knock sensor. Not that it helps with your issue, but while you are looking at the information in the "Wells data", will you also compare the 3.2 data for future visitors to this site?

Thanks,
Kurt

Last edited by kurts2; 05-15-2009 at 12:18 AM. Reason: add PS
Old 05-18-2009, 06:42 PM
JonDaytona

Yeah yeah, my fault there. When I checked the MFG sticker on the concorde motor I read it too quick to just see the '01, when it was 12 of '01 (making it an '02). Unfortunately, with a newborn around now, it's a little hard to get out and work on projects lately so I haven't had a chance to do anything yet. I did run out there to check the VIN on the car to see that it was built in Canada though. As soon as I get anywhere with this thing I will re-post to keep you updated. Hate to sound like a broken record, but thank you Kurt for all of your replies/help!!!!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Your welcome, I must add though I may not be on-line for a bit myself over the next few days (maybe weeks)…as is, this is the first time I’ve “been around” in a while. Sometimes life gets in the way! I only mention this so you know I may be a bit lagging in my replies, but I’m not ignoring you (or anyone else). Just keep on posting so I can get caught up.

Good luck,

Kurt

Quick Reply: Will a Concorde 2.7 interchange with an Intrepid 2.7?