2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

01 Intrepid Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:00 PM
swithrow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Intrepid Engine Swap

Hello Everyone, I am new to DodgeForum. I had a 03 Concorde Lx with the well known 2.7, my 17 year old daughter wrecked it a couple of months ago and the only item that was not damaged was the engine. I purchased a 2001 Intrepid with a blown motor. To me they looked the same so I pulled the engine out of the Concorde and then the Intrepid. I noticed the ECM plugs were different and also that the 01 motor had a EGR pipes going into the rear of the intake. Long story short, I pulled all the wiring harness from the Lx and put it into the Intrepid. (01 Intrepid with 03 electronics) The engine starts but i am getting a bunch of codes,
P0499, P0508, P0057, P0135, P0155, and P0057. I did not change the fuel delivery system nor the O2 sensors. Do I need to have the dealer re-program the ECM?

Old 07-25-2009, 12:56 AM
swithrow

Originally Posted by swithrow
Hello Everyone, I am new to DodgeForum. I had a 03 Concorde Lx with the well known 2.7, my 17 year old daughter wrecked it a couple of months ago and the only item that was not damaged was the engine. I purchased a 2001 Intrepid with a blown motor. To me they looked the same so I pulled the engine out of the Concorde and then the Intrepid. I noticed the ECM plugs were different and also that the 01 motor had a EGR pipes going into the rear of the intake. Long story short, I pulled all the wiring harness from the Lx and put it into the Intrepid. (01 Intrepid with 03 electronics) The engine starts but i am getting a bunch of codes,
P0499, P0508, P0057, P0135, P0155, and P0057. I did not change the fuel delivery system nor the O2 sensors. Do I need to have the dealer re-program the ECM?
Ok, I decided to swap the fuel tanks (the 01 is different from the 03 and i installed the wiring harness from the 03 into the 01), i did notice that the 03 only has two lines going to the tank and the 01 has 3. Does anyone have a diagram of either the 2001 or 2003 fuel lines.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:23 PM
swithrow

Ok, I decided to swap the fuel tanks (the 01 is different from the 03 and i installed the wiring harness from the 03 into the 01), i did notice that the 03 only has two lines going to the tank and the 01 has 3. Does anyone have a diagram of either the 2001 or 2003 fuel lines.
Thanks for the OVER WHELMING RESONSE;

I swapped the fuel tank and plugged the (EXTRA) vacuum line on the intake, swapped the entire exhaust system (Old muffler/resonators were rusted with holes). Just started the Intrepid and no codes. Going to the DMV tomorrow and then to the car wash. Thanks everyone.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:35 PM
00workINprogress

Hope you still are checking in. What part of VA are you from? I just picked up a 2000 intrepid and it is probably going to need a different engine and I'll need all the help I can get. lol I'm in Silver Spring MD.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:47 PM
swithrow

Originally Posted by 00workINprogress
Hope you still are checking in. What part of VA are you from? I just picked up a 2000 intrepid and it is probably going to need a different engine and I'll need all the help I can get. lol I'm in Silver Spring MD.
I'm about 50+ miles south of DC. Removing and installing wasn't bad, it is trying to get the dang codes to clear. I have the airbag light on and it is kicking my rear. I have changed the airbag module, clockspring and removed all connectors on the ecm and reseated them. Going to a local shop this week and get a diag run on the system.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:18 AM
00workINprogress

I'm about 50+ miles south of DC. Removing and installing wasn't bad, it is trying to get the dang codes to clear. I have the airbag light on and it is kicking my rear. I have changed the airbag module, clockspring and removed all connectors on the ecm and reseated them. Going to a local shop this week and get a diag run on the system.
Cool. If you would consider putting an engine in for me, how much would you charge?

Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 AM
swithrow

Originally Posted by 00workINprogress
Cool. If you would consider putting an engine in for me, how much would you charge?
I really don't have the time. I just took off a week to get my Intrepid done. (in between storms and kids)

Old 07-30-2009, 05:56 PM
00workINprogress

Okay. Well, if your availability changes, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:36 AM
swithrow

hello everyone, i am new to dodgeforum. I had a 03 concorde lx with the well known 2.7, my 17 year old daughter wrecked it a couple of months ago and the only item that was not damaged was the engine. I purchased a 2001 intrepid with a blown motor. To me they looked the same so i pulled the engine out of the concorde and then the intrepid. I noticed the ecm plugs were different and also that the 01 motor had a egr pipes going into the rear of the intake. Long story short, i pulled all the wiring harness from the lx and put it into the intrepid. (01 intrepid with 03 electronics) the engine starts but i am getting a bunch of codes,
p0499, p0508, p0057, p0135, p0155, and p0057. I did not change the fuel delivery system nor the o2 sensors. Do i need to have the dealer re-program the ecm?
got it running!!! No codes!!!

Old 10-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Hardcore Pacer

So I took the engine and entire wiring harness for the whole car and interior out of an 03 LHS and put it in an 01 intrepid. I have 4 of the codes that you have. How exactly did you get rid of them was it just the tank swap? Or did you change the tranny computer to get rid of the 0499?

Quick Reply: 01 Intrepid Engine Swap