2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

mechanic fixed waterpump, timing problem now

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012 | 11:04 PM
bekins01ram
|
Veteran
Default mechanic fixed waterpump, timing problem now

Just wanted a couple opinions from y'all. My wifes 2000 2.7L intrepid motor is more than I feel comfortable tackling the tough jobs in. it was overheating, so I did the thermostat, and it still overheated, so I took it to the mechanic. Well he claimed the waterpump was the culprit, and quoted me 930 hard earned dollars to switch it out, since it'd take alot of time to re-work the timing, which was required. It wasn't on my 5.2L magnum engine, when I did the water pump, but heck, this is a weird v6. So I didn't know, and agreed. He called midway in claiming some guide was broken. I had him change it out, for an extra 60$.

Well, we just got it back, and the wife pulled into the driveway, and this thing sounded like crap! I pop the hood and start looking around, and well, the harmonic balancer is wobbling baaadly, and there's a pretty nasty sound from behind the timing cover....Anyways, I'm working as a truck driver, so I have the wife call the guy in the morning and explain what we noticed, and she takes it back to him tonight. He now claims the timing belt tensioner is broken, and the wife brings the car back to the house, because I just wanted to sell the car after we got the overheating issue fixed. Now I don't know what it's going to cost to get this timing belt tensioner replaced, or if this is something I can handle.

I am going to talk (hopefully calmly) about this tomorrow, because he apparently claimed the tensioner wasn't something that their shop messed with. But did they not have to mess with the tensioner to adjust the timing belt or w/e it was they did??? I dont understand how replacing the waterpump, requires adjusting the timing, but again, I work on my V8 Ram 1500, not this weird v6 contraption. Anyways, am I far off base, saying that he should repair this issue for free, since they were in there messing with the timing, and now there's a timing issue?? This car got 29 mpg's on a roughly 700 mile trip last summer, and now it's falling apart it seems. I just want to sell it for like 2000, which is less than what we have into it so far, so I can use it for a down payment for a new vehicle for the wife, cause since the car is FUBAR, we've been driving my truck everywhere, which as you can imagine is not easy on the wallet with current gas prices. Any of you intrepid or 2.7L motor owners with any suggestions would be appreciated. I can't sell this car, with the way it sounds currently.

Old 05-04-2012 | 07:57 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker

Ok, I found this: http://www.ehow.com/how_4508707_inst...-intrepid.html

Sounds to me like its close to a honda. The pump runs off the timing belt. He should have checked everything while he was in there, doesnt mean he did though. Also doesnt mean he is responsible for the repairs it currently needs. Even if he is, it doesnt mean he'll own up to it. Basically, youll have to prove it is/was his fault, even though the timing belt has to be removed to replace the water pump. The balancer, he could have thought it needed to come off to gain access, but again, need to prove it, and thats the difficult part.

I think your better off to either sell it or fix it and sell it. But either way, do not go back to that mechanic for anything.

Good luck on whatever you decide, Ive been there before.

Old 05-04-2012 | 09:36 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech

The thing about a 2.7 is...if you go in there for water pump or anything else, DO IT ALL....water pump, guides, chain and primary tensioner. Some people have to learn this the hard way, which is what it sounds like your guy is having to do. From your description, it sounds like the primary tensioner collapsed and you have slack in the chain now. If someone is not experienced with a 2.7, it's not a good idea to let them anywhere near it. I know, too late though. Sorry about your troubles.

DO not run the engine anymore. If the chain jumps, you'll be in a world of poo poo. Your car will be scrap fodder.

Last edited by TNtech; 05-04-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-04-2012 | 05:55 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

^^^
what he said.
In order to replace the tensioner, you have to remove the Timing Cover and do everything all over again.
sorry for your trouble, but sounds like you has an inexperienced mechanic. Even tho the 2.7l has been around for over 10 yrs.

Yes, they have to remove the tensioner, press it in, Lock it with the pin, and release the tensioner after chain is installed. And then double check timing before re-assemble everything.
If you need repair instruction to print out to "prove" he has to mess with the tensioner in order to replace the W-pump, shoot me a PM. Because normally if this type of stuff happens in where I work, even tho it wasn't our fault, we still fix it for free but make the customer pay for the tensioner.
I mean, come on, you just spent $1000 there without question.

Last edited by steak59; 05-04-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-23-2012 | 08:00 PM
deezozdodge
Professional

I agree with TNtech. Did this mechanic have a service manual?

Quick Reply: mechanic fixed waterpump, timing problem now