2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

My Intrepid stalls when it's below freezing

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 04:10 PM
zOOkStEr72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My Intrepid stalls when it's below freezing

I have a 98 Dodge Intrepid with the 3.2 L engine in it. The check engine light is not on, nor are there any problems with the motor.. usually.

The ONLY problem I have is.. when it's cold outside ( around freezing ), the car will stall one time in the morning. It usually takes about 5 minutes for it to stall. It doesn't matter if it's sitting there idling, or on the freeway, with your foot on the gas. It just cuts out, and will not start back up immediately. I'll have to pull off the side of the road, and wait about a minute..then it will start back up, and run fine. Once the car is warmed up, it never stalls again. I keep forgetting about this problem all year.. until this time of year lol.

Any clue as to what would be causing this? Since there is no check engine light on, I could not get a code to help pinpoint the problem.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:15 PM
zOOkStEr72

Does this sound like an electrical issue? Or perhaps a fuel issue? I don't know where to start, and any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have searched online, and have had no luck. That's when I asked on here... hoping someone who knows Dodge's could point me in the general direction.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

If you have a scan tool with real time monitoring, try reading it when it malfunctions... you can look at a few of the sensors such as the map,tps,temp etc and see if anything seems stuck or incorrect value
Many times an incorrect value will go undetected by the pcm because it thinks its the correct value and then ends up miss adjusting your timing. It sounds like an electrical sensor, not a fuel issue. Many times as electronics warm, they change their values.

Quick Reply: My Intrepid stalls when it's below freezing