2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

No crank, no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 05:42 PM
Princessjewls88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No crank, no start

I have a 2002 Dodge Intrepid SE 2.7

At the beginning of this year I had the starter replaced because it started making a grinding noise every time I would go to start it and I wanted to get it fixed before it became a bigger issue. Everything was fine for about a month until I noticed smoke coming out from under my hood. I had an oil leak from the main gasket which I had replaced. After that, it's been all down hill from there.

One night I was at a friends house when I went to go home. I got in the car turned the key the starter cranked for a second and then just did nothing. It wasn't making any clicks or anything. All of my lights in and out of the car are on and bright. When I called to have the car towed home the guy tried to jump her thinking it was the battery and it did nothing. Took it back to my mechanic and he replaced the starter for a second time.

Got the car back and drove it around the same day running errands and what not. Went to pick someone up from the hospital and pulled into the valet section to have her parked and turned off my car. The valet guy goes to start the car and nothing happens no clicks no nothing. After waiting a while I try her on a whim and she starts. I have the valet guy park her. Later when I'm done at the hospital and go to see what the situation is she won't start. I wait a while and try again she starts. so I shut her off and try again she starts but it sound like the starters grinding. So I shut her off and try to start her again just to see and she grinds really bad and barely starts. Shut her off again and try to start her and nothing. No clicks and no lights dimming.

Had her towed back to the mechanics where he proceeds to replace the starter for a third time. I went and picked her up yesterday she started just fine at the mechanics. Parked her in the driveway then later used her to go to the store (she started just fine). Got back in her at the store parking lot and she started. I even tried to help a guy jump his car which meant I turned her off and started her again (so that's twice in a short period of time). Drove her home and then later (at least 1.5 to 2 hours later) got in her to go to the movies and she wouldn't start. I haven't tried her yet today to see what she does and I am dreading calling the mechanic up again and telling him she won't start again.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it and I apologize for this post being so long. If you guys need any other info let me know and I will try to answer the best of my ability.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:11 PM
Blackgolem

Real quick hope I am not to late joining but check couple of things first the crank fuse in the motor compartment and maybe plug coils don't know what the grinding sound is but my car used to stall and not start and this solved my problem I own a 99 Dodge intrepid with the 2.7 base engine hope that's you're only problem and this suggestion solves it
Originally Posted by Princessjewls88
I have a 2002 Dodge Intrepid SE 2.7
Se
At the beginning of this year I had the starter replaced because it started making a grinding noise every time I would go to start it and I wanted to get it fixed before it became a bigger issue. Everything was fine for about a month until I noticed smoke coming out from under my hood. I had an oil leak from the main gasket which I had replaced. After that, it's been all down hill from there.

One night I was at a friends house when I went to go home. I got in the car turned the key the starter cranked for a second and then just did nothing. It wasn't making any clicks or anything. All of my lights in and out of the car are on and bright. When I called to have the car towed home the guy tried to jump her thinking it was the battery and it did nothing. Took it back to my mechanic and he replaced the starter for a second time.

Got the car back and drove it around the same day running errands and what not. Went to pick someone up from the hospital and pulled into the valet section to have her parked and turned off my car. The valet guy goes to start the car and nothing happens no clicks no nothing. After waiting a while I try her on a whim and she starts. I have the valet guy park her. Later when I'm done at the hospital and go to see what the situation is she won't start. I wait a while and try again she starts. so I shut her off and try again she starts but it sound like the starters grinding. So I shut her off and try to start her again just to see and she grinds really bad and barely starts. Shut her off again and try to start her and nothing. No clicks and no lights dimming.

Had her towed back to the mechanics where he proceeds to replace the starter for a third time. I went and picked her up yesterday she started just fine at the mechanics. Parked her in the driveway then later used her to go to the store (she started just fine). Got back in her at the store parking lot and she started. I even tried to help a guy jump his car which meant I turned her off and started her again (so that's twice in a short period of time). Drove her home and then later (at least 1.5 to 2 hours later) got in her to go to the movies and she wouldn't start. I haven't tried her yet today to see what she does and I am dreading calling the mechanic up again and telling him she won't start again.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it and I apologize for this post being so long. If you guys need any other info let me know and I will try to answer the best of my ability.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:30 AM
ladylaura
Amateur

When my 2003 doesn't c crank after a whole day of use. I throw it in neutral and start the car. So far it starts up for the last three years it has that foolish problem.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:42 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ladylaura
When my 2003 doesn't c crank after a whole day of use. I throw it in neutral and start the car. So far it starts up for the last three years it has that foolish problem.

Transmission range sensor, park lockout or neutral safety switch.

Quick Reply: No crank, no start