2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

intrepid lock ring workaround

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 06:46 PM
firsttrepid4me
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile intrepid lock ring workaround

In the process of putting a new fuel pump in my 2000 Intrepid V6 3.2 and encountered a problem getting the lock ring loose "without" having a spanner wrench. If you do this work regularly "buy the tool" but if you don't have one then try this. If you have an old chainsaw chain turn it around backwards so the teeth catch on the notches on the plastic ring, clamp the extra chain with vice grips and use another tool such as channel locks to twist the vice grips counter-clockwise. This plastic ring is easily broken so not anything will work and when no part store in town has the tool, you find another way! Hopes this helps someone out.

Last edited by firsttrepid4me; 09-11-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:51 PM
owner.of.98.intrepid.es

Great idea.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:12 PM
firsttrepid4me

Hey I don't need much help but does the 2000 Intrepid es V6 3.2 have an inertia switch anywhere? First thing checked was ASD relay, fuel pump relay and all fuses. ASD and rad/fan high relay interchange same with fuel pump relay and I think 2 others, and still bought one of each for backup. With the ignition on I have volts going to the l/green and blue wires on the harness with ignition on, nothing on the 4 on the other side. I read where the 2 small wires were the gauge and the 2 large were the pump. I have a fuel pump coming any min anyway but was just wondering if I'm on the right track here. This thing has been sitting for 3 yrs and it recently cranked for a little bit with white smoke then stalled. I changed the oil, 5 of the 6 plugs(got one screw stripping on the last coil) or would be all 6, air filter, drained the old gas. I have a fuel pressure tester now and can pull a line underneath to see if getting pressure with the new pump. This thing did crank again with starting fluid before I pulled the tank. I don't think it has an anti-theft device I have just a black key, no keyless. Only light that doesnt go off after the ignition switch is on a few sec's is the oil light. Anyway if there is anything anyone thinks might have been the problem "other" than a fuel pump just let me know, but in the meantime I want to get the new pump in and see what happens. Thanks to anyone willing to put they're 2 cents worth in on this.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:42 PM
firsttrepid4me

It's alive!!!!!!!!!!!! Twas tha fuel pump!