2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

Dodge 02 Trep won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:33 AM
hexbolt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge 02 Trep won't start

This problem started after a very cold night. It turned over, then it just quit. It will turn over but not start. Towed it to a local mech, it is getting gas but no juice to the plugs. Any thoughts on this would be helpful to me and the not so bright mech.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:59 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: Dodge 02 Trep won't start

Lots of thoughts, but need a bit more info. Any engine codes? How is the compression (if the timing belt is broke, the cam possition sensor will not send a signal and therfor no spark)? It could also be the ASD relay (connects bat power to the ignition coil (also fuel injectors)) or circuit. Also could be the crankshaft position sensor. There is a fairly simple test in the ignition system section of the service manual (see holy grail at the top of the fourm) using a test light.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:20 AM
hexbolt

The mech did not have a code reader. Also, he pulled the battery before any codes could be read anyhow. Compression was good, and the spark plugs were wet. He cleaned them and re-installed. Still no start. I had the car towed(again)to a local Dodge dealer. I had to rent a car for now. I will let you know how things turn out. Thanks for the help. I would have tried to solve this myself. but no time.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:43 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: hexbolt
The mech did not have a code reader. Also, he pulled the battery before any codes could be read
What kind of mech dosen't have an ODBII code reader!? I would NEVER use that mechanic again! 1st step, read the codes to see if the computer noticed anything. It dosen't always have the answers, but it should be checked first...it may have been as easy as a coil pack ($50 for the part, about 1/2 hour to change). Anyway, good luck and I hope they treat you well at the dealer.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:57 PM
shnormo
Veteran

Well I had the same problem... I just kept on cranking it and flooring it and 3 days later it started.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:59 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

As I said in my first post to hexbolt, lots could be wrong, need more info. Same goes with yours! Did you ever have an engine light? A baro fail would be a stuck MAP sensor. Yours may have just been flooded (for whatever reason). You may have an intermittent sensor fail. It couldhave been a plugged fuel line. The list goes on.

I'm glad yours fixed itself, but most of use have to repair our cars!! I would like to learn your technique though, it would save me $ at the parts store!!

Old 02-09-2007, 07:26 AM
hexbolt

Turned out to be the Main BRAIN. The processor went on the computer that runs all. Only $786.00 and that included the tow and a free car wash. I'll be smokin generic cig's for awhile. Thanks everyone for all your input and help. This is a great tool. So I'll BE BACK.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:51 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Glad to hear you are back up and running, but sad to hear at what cost[&:]! I think it is the one item we all know as a possible suspect, but always shun away from. It seems too easy (but not too chaep) to point the finger at the computer. Not to mention they usually are very reliable (now-a-dyas) and are not the fix most of the time. Still, it seems a bit odd to me. I hope it wasn't the same mech (with no code reader) that"fixed it with a computer change for $786."

Old 02-11-2007, 12:15 PM
hexbolt

The mech at the Dodge dealer I towed it to said there was a melted wire at one coil that lead to the Powertrain Control Module shorting out. To go on he saidthe fuses to the injectors and the coils were blown. Then he found that the fuse to the 02 sensor was blown. This lead to a direct short to the PCM. Looks like its time to talk trade and get a new vehicle. Thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply: Dodge 02 Trep won't start