2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

couple questions about a motor swap(not in faq)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 02:33 PM
rappin_trashman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple questions about a motor swap(not in faq)

i didnt see these questions in the faq...so im hoping maybe i can get some answers here...

let me just say...i do NOT intend to put a turbo on this setup...ever...maybe thats why its different and not covered in the faq...i dunno

how much does a 2.4l engine run...? can i get them new??

can i use any 2.4 engine...like could i take the 2.4 motor out of my 01 stratus and put it into my 02 neon ES? i dont really want it for speed...however my neon is slow...i travel highway speeds around 70-80...and i figure if i got the 2.4 motor swapped in...it would be less of a strain...and most of all...could i use my stock auto 4 speed transmission with the 2.4 motor...??

also...where could i go to get this done?? because i dont have any mechanical knowledge at all...lol

im sorry if this has been covered but ive searched...and cant find the 'search' button...thanks in advance

Old 03-31-2007, 11:57 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Default RE: couple questions about a motor swap(not in faq)

Yeah and 2.4l stratus engine will fit in there. But if you intend to just drop a stock stratus engine in there and leave it stock you might as well not do it because that would be a lot of work for a small gain. Call around to garages, it is not going to be cheap I can tell you that much.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:06 AM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

for the price... dang.
you could get stock 2.4 power easily from your 2.0 for much less headache

Old 04-01-2007, 03:14 AM
tooslow
Veteran

it is a pretty simple swap but the better motor too look for is a pt cruiser motor since it mounts the same as neon but you can always buy the strutus motor and then get the ptmounting hardware. As for the wiringit should be pretty simple you have the you have too extend the coolant temp senser and change the injecters around since the 2.4 firing seqeunce is different. your tranny will fit fine.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:01 AM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker

not worth it... for the hp and torque gain... and the money if you cant do it yourself, you could spend 1/2 - 3/4 off the money on bolt-ons.... do them yourself, learn a little bit, and have the same power!!

Old 04-01-2007, 12:03 PM
rappin_trashman
Professional

theres no way i would actually swap the motor from the stratus into the neon...i just wanted to look at all the options incase the motor does decide to go...my pop has a good bit of mechanical knowhow...he can do alot...but i dont think swapping an engine would be in his that list of things he can do...maybe if he had a shop...lol...but yeah just looking at all the options...i thought about buying an 03+ neon with low miles...im on this kick for needing something new...it hurts that dodge doesnt manufacture the neon anymore...so i may even look into getting a loaded cobalt with the supercharger...not really sure...but thanks again...just wanted to look at all my options...

Quick Reply: couple questions about a motor swap(not in faq)