2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Gas pedal slipping in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:30 PM
snare_samn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas pedal slipping in?

While I was driving to school this morning (stop and go traffic of course) I noticed that my car was revving by itself in first gear. At one point I was stopped in traffic and had the clutch all the way in and my foot on the brake and the engine was revving up past 3000 rpms. I stopped the car and turned it back on and the engine immediately started revving this time. I pushed in the clutch and put my foot UNDERNEATH the gas pedal and tried pulling it towards myself in case it was just slipping or something but this didn't do anything. How the heck do I fix this? What is wrong with my car?

And just in case it helps, it's a 2000 ES with a 5-speed transmission.

I REALLY appreciate any help you can give me!

Old 04-16-2007, 04:11 PM
tooslow
Veteran
Default RE: Gas pedal slipping in?

check for a vacuum leak

Old 04-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Kapitald
Captain

wow??? thats different??? tell us is it doing all the time now?? or was it just that one time?? My only two close ideas would be a slipping clutch (but you said you were picking up the gas not putting it down and said you were in neutral so not that)...and maybe your throttle position sensor, or idle control sensor, or maybe even a map sensor if your motor thought it was getting more air it would idle high up to 3,000....how many miles does your car have??

Old 04-16-2007, 11:33 PM
snare_samn
Professional

Well, it was fine on the way home from school earlier but then I drove over to Advanced Auto Parts (less than 2 miles away) and it did it again on the way back. My car only has 74k miles on it.

And how do I check for a vaccum leak? [&:]

Old 04-17-2007, 02:16 PM
tooslow
Veteran

see if it does not do all the time it is not vacuum leak it is probly the aic sticking next time it does it unplug the iac it is the throttle body the top senser the idle should go way down when you do this if not it is stuck open

Old 04-17-2007, 03:15 PM
gabo

wow man my 2000 neon es 5sp and my car does that sometimes also, only till like 1500 tho, but i dont kno i have a feelin my clutch is going bye bye. 1st today wen i tried shifting from 1st to 2nd with the clutch all the way down it was giving me trouble to engage gears and also sometimes when im driving in a highway and im in 5th gear for a long time it throws 5th gear out O_o and when i turn on the car i hear a grinding noise coming from the tranny but wen i press the clutch the noise goes away. also my reverse lights come up sometimes not all the time wen i hit reverse, also to put reverse i need to kinda force a lil cuz it wont engage, omg lol alot of freaking problems but o well i love my neon!! any help would really be great thanks

Old 04-17-2007, 05:01 PM
contagious19
Champion

i never had dat problem wit my 2000 neon.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:27 AM
Kapitald
Captain

wow....u better start saving up for a clutch and pressure plate...most clutch kits come with pressure plates though...i would get a centerforce bc theyre so cheap...i got one put in my 300zx and it was perfect.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:28 AM
Kapitald
Captain

that last comment i left was to gabo my bad

Old 04-18-2007, 01:09 PM
snare_samn
Professional

Yeah I think I might need to replace a few things too. Mine grinds REALLY bad going into second but if I double clutch that usually fixes the problem, I just hope the whole transmission doesn't have to be replaced. Though right now I'm just worried about how much gas is being burning from all this engine revving while I'm sitting still. =[

Quick Reply: Gas pedal slipping in?