2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

anyone with short ram air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:20 AM
l_pillon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone with short ram air intake?

just curious to how good they are..i dont want an intake that mounts into the wheel well....wonderin if u can send me some links to some sites that sell them with the install instructions so i can see if they will fit..i have a 2000 neon

Old 04-24-2007, 01:50 AM
Andpto
All Star
Default RE: anyone with short ram air intake?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-1534

there is your short ram from K&n they have picture instructions

Old 04-24-2007, 01:54 AM
l_pillon
Professional

Fuel Injection Performance Kits doesnt say anything about short ram intake....i believe the short ram is a 69 series but thanks anyways

Old 04-24-2007, 02:40 AM
Kapitald
Captain

this is a short ram intake man....note the filter??? They just put that heat shield there so the air will be a lil bit cooler before it goes into the throttle body...cooler air means more power...also you wouldnt have to worry about this heat problem if you just put a CAI in the wheel well...

Old 04-24-2007, 03:02 AM
l_pillon
Professional

u dont get it..when its real cold and u got the intake in the wheel well things can get clogged up and it can seriously harm ur car,,,,winters here a bitter cold and u could possible get some engine problems havin the intake comin down the wheel well....thats y i want the shorty so i never have to change it back and fourth

Old 04-24-2007, 03:37 AM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

for the 2.0, the only thing to be wary of on a short ram is some of the cheaper ones that just let it 'hang' there off of the throttlebody. you want one that is actually supported. im not sure of the 2.0 but i know for the 2.4, the K&N typhoon switches between WAI and CAI very easily.

and while hydrolocking is a danger, you pretty much have to submerge the entire filter for this to be a problem. even so you can have a valve installed that can avert this potential pitfall. but in then end there really isnt a huge difference between wai and cai. personally i switch the a wai during the winter and put thecaiextension onduring the summer months. it takes the better part of 10 minutes to swap out.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:47 PM
SXTspeed
Veteran

03neonRT told me a while ago that a regular cold air intake is better than short ram.

Random fact: 10 degrees cooler air = 1% hp increase

Old 04-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

2 things, here's apic of mine... just made my own supports, some people don't use any at all and said they never had a problem, but I didn't want to take chances and just made these...

the other thing, just to make sure you know, it sounds like u think the air filter is right out in the open inside the wheel well...it is actually behind a panel, protected...and I beleive the filter ends up getting the air from the front grill....if you buy one, you will need to remove that panel to mount it.... obviously I don't have one, but have read a number of posts talking about it

Old 04-24-2007, 09:26 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: l_pillon

u dont get it..when its real cold and u got the intake in the wheel well things can get clogged up and it can seriously harm ur car,,,,winters here a bitter cold and u could possible get some engine problems havin the intake comin down the wheel well....thats y i want the shorty so i never have to change it back and fourth
Do you have any experience with that happening or is that just what you assume will happen?

Old 04-24-2007, 11:33 PM
l_pillon
Professional

my dads a service manager at a shop that does over a million in sales a yr..i was doin the research myself unitl he found out n told me about it....it be a diff story if i was in a warmer area but im not

Quick Reply: anyone with short ram air intake?