2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Bottom End Rebuild Difficulty

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Bryches
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bottom End Rebuild Difficulty

Thanks for all the advice. Howell has standard bore 8.6 pistons. They have stroker kits too - sweet. I'll check out Modern Performance today. Any recommendations on who to send the block to for boring if I decide to do it? How long does it take (with decent service) from when u ship it out till when you get it back? Is there any sort of warrenty for if they drop it or something (maybe damaged during shippping)? I've replaced a head gasket once on a jetta but thats as far in as i've gone. Should I do any top end work (assuming I can afford it) - port/polishing, valvetrain? Which is the most benificial?

[Offtrack -
I'm starting to get carried away, haha. I originally was thinking about just having it mostly stock and autoxing it, but the emotions from my rx7 that has been sitting in the garage in a thousand pieces since 11th grade are coming back. I don't have the time to rebuild the rx7 from scratch, but the neon is doable because everything will be fresh in my head and I don't have to rebuild the entire car. I just want that turbo feeling so bad lol. Being a college student, its far from practical, but if I can pull it off, why wait? You know, suck the marrow out of life and all that, lol.
- ]

Old 05-30-2007, 01:08 PM
tooslow
Veteran

ok here is how I would do it take the block out strip it then take it too you local machine shop have them measure they will tell you if you would need too bore it or not and how big of bore you are gona need then you order the rebuild kit.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:23 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what is the standard bore of our neons anyways? and that of a .20 over bore?

Old 05-31-2007, 01:30 PM
tooslow
Veteran

I think the stock bore is 87.5mm and a 83 stroke over bore wil not give you alot more displacement it is mainly too make sure you new pistons sit right.

Quick Reply: Bottom End Rebuild Difficulty