2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

New Project Thoughts...What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:02 PM
AirWolf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Project Thoughts...What do you think?

Only problem witha srt4 swap is most are beaten to death and a hahn turbo setup is brand new and way nicer for auto neons you dont have to do the tranny swap if you go with a hahn trannys are also beaten to death. I would go with a hahn setup over a srt4 anyday . The money is well worth it and well last alot longer over a srt setup in the longrun.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:58 PM
lblackneon
Champion

It just depends on the milage of the SRT-4 engine. They do get beat up though.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:03 PM
AirWolf

Ive seen low mileage srt engines and trannys that are beaten to death even engines with little mods. Buyer way beware of any srt4 engines and trannys .

Old 06-04-2007, 05:29 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

I've seen just as many SRT-4 engine and trannies that are in great shape as ones that are beaten to hell...its a risk you take when you buy any used part, and if you dont trust a detailed visual inspection when buying used parts then buy new parts. Plenty of places that offer SRT-4 spec. 2.4 long blocks and short blocks out there...

Old 06-04-2007, 03:58 PM
AirWolf

I still would go for the hahn if your ride is an auto way better and you dont have to do the tranny swap . to me the hahn stage2 is just as nice as a srt swap . I would go with a magnaflow or borla dual instead of a srt4 exhaust . Stainless steel exhaust ftw.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:05 PM
nswap7
Captain

yah, but then again it all comes down to opinions. im sure someone who has an auto might also want it swaped to manual, so your killing 2 birds with one stone, then like 03neonRT said, its a matter of inspection and of course you can always do work on it if needbe

Old 06-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Bryches

hmmm interesting, mines a standard trans btw. I don't really like the idea of spending big $ on a used motor. Ive had some bad experience with used parts, and although it can sometimes be straightend out -this takes timeee. If I bought a crate short block for example, now where talking about pulling the engine, putting in a diff size engine, since its just the short block Ill still have to get all the turbo stuff and still tune the MS...I might as well just rebuild my current motor IMO. i know with the short block at least I dont have to rebuild the motor, but still having all that work at that point I wouldn't mind sticking with my original plan.I want tohave a setup running soon.

I am thinking about getting the MS and putting it on now, messing and tuning for a while, then getting the hahn kit and installing that (staying @8psi or below). This way I can plan on rebuilding the motor sometime in the future, maybe over winter break (burrrr) or next summer. By that time it could probably use a rebuild anyway after the boost. My last project has been on hold since high school because i jumped in to far, to fast, with not enough money. I figure maybe just settling for not being the fasting thing out there, but still having some fun for now. keeping it on the simple side (relatively haha), then as i learn more I can keep building it up.

Quick Reply: New Project Thoughts...What do you think?