2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

New Project Thoughts...What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:59 AM
Bryches
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Project Thoughts...What do you think?

I have been planning on building my 01 SE up to 300WHP, bottom and top end rebuilds, high boost, Megasquirt, axles, LSD, etc, etc, the works...but I am beginning to realize that the fact is it's going to take considerable time to build the knowledge base I need - learning the backgrond of the MS and how to tune it, carefully rebuilding the engine (haven't rebuilt one before), not to mention how much needs to be upraded to handle the power such as new axles and an LSD. Then theres the problem of the extensive work, I would have to either bring tools to school or drive 3 hours home to work on it in the garage - this creates big inconveniences for a daily driver. Especially if I can't get it running to come back for work...and I know I wont rebuild the engine in anywhere near 2-3 days. So this plan doesn't look too feasible, it needs some changes. I know it was a little overboard in the first place, but I say dream big, but do your homework.

So the problem is that the original plan won't work in the time frame I'd like, but I still want to have some fun- I don't want to stay stock. And I'd really like a turbo...so here's what I havecome up with (brainstorming):

- Hahn stage II kit from Modern Performance
- Different boost controller and BOV - run it at 6 - 8 psi

- crank scraper and windage tray

- crane 12cam and adjustable cam gear (do i need the titanium valve springs?, can I replace the cam without removing the head?)

- SRT exhaust or something similar

- Ignition - what are my ignition control options? I need to be able to retard the timing

- Replace the timing belt and headgasket (should I?) the motor has 75k on it

- assorted gauges - afr, oil pressure, etc to keep an eye on the motor

- If possible take it to a dyno and start at low boost and increase between runs to make sure the wheel torque is at a safe level

Any thoughts? Are there any other little things I should look out for, such as the timing belt? Any particular leaks, etc, that are common to the 2nd gen?

This plan eliminates having to rebuild the motor and send out the block, learning everything about the MS, etc. And all the work should be able to be done in a few frustrating weekends. It wont be as fast as I had originally hoped, but I should be able to put a frown on the face of cobolt SS drivers and hang with stock SRT 4s - maybe ~ 200WHP ? This way I can have some fun now, while in the meantime learning some things about the MS and engine building etc. in my freetime, and then I can make upgrades as I am readyfor them.
Thanks for any help.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:12 AM
nswap7
Captain
Default RE: New Project Thoughts...What do you think?

sounds like a good plan. The 1st part sounds pretty steep. Alot of time, money and aggrivation. as far as MS and time for that, talk to mike about that. hes in the process and having troubles here and there but gettin along well. Plans sound cool though. keep udating when u start that

Old 06-03-2007, 04:14 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Bryches

I have been planning on building my 01 SE up to 300WHP, bottom and top end rebuilds, high boost, Megasquirt, axles, LSD, etc, etc, the works...but I am beginning to realize that the fact is it's going to take considerable time to build the knowledge base I need - learning the backgrond of the MS and how to tune it, carefully rebuilding the engine (haven't rebuilt one before), not to mention how much needs to be upraded to handle the power such as new axles and an LSD. Then theres the problem of the extensive work, I would have to either bring tools to school or drive 3 hours home to work on it in the garage - this creates big inconveniences for a daily driver. Especially if I can't get it running to come back for work...and I know I wont rebuild the engine in anywhere near 2-3 days. So this plan doesn't look too feasible, it needs some changes. I know it was a little overboard in the first place, but I say dream big, but do your homework.

So the problem is that the original plan won't work in the time frame I'd like, but I still want to have some fun- I don't want to stay stock. And I'd really like a turbo...so here's what I havecome up with (brainstorming):

- Hahn stage II kit from Modern Performance
- Different boost controller and BOV - run it at 6 - 8 psi

- crank scraper and windage tray

- crane 12cam and adjustable cam gear (do i need the titanium valve springs?, can I replace the cam without removing the head?) Yes, you can keep the cylinder head on to replace the cam...but I would suggest changing the headgasket and timing belt anyways. You dont need the titanium valve springs if your only going with the Crane 12, save some money and buy the Magnum Valve Springs.

- SRT exhaust or something similar

- Ignition - what are my ignition control options? I need to be able to retard the timing Your using MS for fuel,.so just use MS for ignition control as well.

- Replace the timing belt and headgasket (should I?) the motor has 75k on it Yes, replace both.

- assorted gauges - afr, oil pressure, etc to keep an eye on the motor

- If possible take it to a dyno and start at low boost and increase between runs to make sure the wheel torque is at a safe level A good idea, tuning is the most important part of the entire process, besides buying good quality parts.

Any thoughts? Are there any other little things I should look out for, such as the timing belt? Any particular leaks, etc, that are common to the 2nd gen?

This plan eliminates having to rebuild the motor and send out the block, learning everything about the MS, etc. And all the work should be able to be done in a few frustrating weekends. It wont be as fast as I had originally hoped, but I should be able to put a frown on the face of cobolt SS drivers and hang with stock SRT 4s - maybe ~ 200WHP ? This way I can have some fun now, while in the meantime learning some things about the MS and engine building etc. in my freetime, and then I can make upgrades as I am readyfor them.
Thanks for any help.
Your plan sounds pretty good, but just dont get the urge to crank up the boost if you dont build the bottom end. Graphite was able to hit 244wtq with his setup on stock bottom end, but most would agree that the stock connecting rods are only good for around 250wtq...just a warning thats all.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Bryches

Idunno ifImgoing to use the MS for this plan, at least at first. I willin the future though. After looking at some of the MS stuff, I'd like to learn all about it first and that is going to take a while.

So its looking like ill get the MSD DIS 2 or something similar. However, this is $400, compared to ~$300 for the MS + all the accessories...It might be worth it to get the MS rather than have factory fuel control. It just seemed a little overwhelming looking at the amount of reading/research/tuning to get it to run right. I don't mind doing my hw on this stuff, I'd just like to get the setup running good by the end of the summer at least so I can have a couple months of driving time in the fall. Maybe I'll PM that guy that was working on his MS.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well in all honesty in my opinion just go with the SRT4 Swap it takes considerably less $ and time than the stuff you have listed and the aftermarket options are more extensive and all that, thats what im going to do..... im saving all my money for awhile and waiting until i can find a crashed SRT4 (rear end collision hopfully) and buy that for parts.... and what ever i dont use goes to the junk yard or something

Old 06-03-2007, 07:13 PM
AirWolf

I love my hahn stage2 turbo kit in my 1st gen neon . Hahn is the only way to go if you have an auto neon any yr. I have alot of mine invested in my 1st gen more so for the engine and turbo and paint job . Id say you got a awesome project ahead of you have fun.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:59 PM
lblackneon
Champion

Just like 03neonRT said, make sure u rebuild the bottom end.
It wont hurt to put titanium retainers in.
U don't have to take the head off to put the cam in. My mechanic took the engine out and head off b/c he said the cam job is easier that way.

An SRT-4 swap would be the best way to go though.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Adionik
Champion

You'd have a lot more possibilities with a swap to say the least. I'd take an agp 50 trim over a hanh for our neon any day

Old 06-03-2007, 09:10 PM
lblackneon
Champion

It just costs more to build a reg Neons hp than an SRT-4 motor. For the amount of money that I put into my car, I still don't have the hp of an SRT-4. If I would have done the srt swap from the beginning I'd be more satisfied.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Durnald_Toad
Rookie

Yup save time and money.
Order a crate !!!

Quick Reply: New Project Thoughts...What do you think?