2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Got a few problems with the ol' neon.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:47 AM
sparky1_2007
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a few problems with the ol' neon.

Well, first off, there's this problem where let's say for example, im driving down the road, normal operating temp for my car, and i decide to turn, ok, pull off into turn lane, and turn left/right, pick your choice, go up to 3k rpms in 1st and push in the clutch, then coast into say a parking lot.

well, basically what happens is that the RPM's will stay up anywhere from 3k-1.5k RPM's while coasting, note that i have the clutch in, and when i release the clutch, it has no effect.

only when i get to a complete stop does my RPM's fully drop back down to 800.

That's my first problem.

My second problem is in regards to how i drive my manual trans.

My friend whom has driven many manuals in his days (Porsche 944's, Corvette C6, merc-benz 190 evo)

basically what he said is that when im letting off the clutch, i should be able to let right off the clutch once i feel it get going.

now, what i do is i let off the clutch, and let it grip the gears and get moving a little bit, then let off the clutch fully.... im sure that some of you guys would call that riding the clutch, but idk, it's just the way that ive learned to drive my car.

so, any suggestions on that?

my friend says that my clutch is fhked up or something.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:02 AM
contagious19
Champion
Default RE: Got a few problems with the ol' neon.

well i let it ride da gear and den give it gas for it to get going good and den foot off da clutch. dats how i learned

Old 06-05-2007, 03:36 AM
sparky1_2007
Professional

yea, i think my friend is used to having high powered cars and being able to let off the clutch right off the get-go....

any suggestions on the throttle problem?

i am going to be getting a 60mm TB sooner or later so, maybe tightening the throttle cables? or lubing them up? that seems to be whats going on is that it's sticking a bit or the ECU is messed up.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:09 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no its normal... my car does the same thing.... when im coasting with the clutch in or my car out of gear the revs stay up around 1.5k or so..... i guess its to prevent clutch damage b/c if it wouls just sit at idle then all of a sudden grab there would be greater wear on the clutch...... and what you said about hitting the gas before you let the clutch out is called rev matching but if you are only part way on the clutch then you are riding the clutch with will cause premature wear.....

Quick Reply: Got a few problems with the ol' neon.