Freerider
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Whats the best cam for turbo setup

ORIGINAL: 03neonRT

ORIGINAL: Freerider

ORIGINAL: Izero

ok so just to list it out if i wanted to put the magnum head on my car i'd need:
Magnum Head
Borla or r/t exhaust manifold
valves
springs
cam #12
retainers
guides

am i missing anything? how much could i get out of all of that? just 10-15 whp? or could i do with titanium springs( and what else) for more gains....?
You only need the valves and guides if your buying a bare head, otherwise it should have those already installed. Just so you know, the standard SOHC head and the Magnum head use different valves, they are the same size, its just that the Magnum valves use a triple bead lock for the retainers, while the standard SOHC head valves use a single bead. The Magnum valve springs should be fine with the Crane 12, but if your more comfortable with titanium springs and retianers then go for it...just make sure the retainers are the triple bead kind. You'll also need all the gaskets and new headbolts, and you'll have to decide what you want to do on the intake side of things...

You don't need upgraded retainers with a crane cam #12 grind and the new springs. That is all you need.
Isnt that what I said? lol.
why I quoted you. a big + 1.

and wooooooo-eeeeeeeeee look at that quote box.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:23 AM
lblackneon
Champion

U don't need upgraded retainers with the cam 12 but it wont hurt to get it.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:50 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ok so just to list it out if i wanted to put the magnum head on my car i'd need:
Magnum Head
Borla or r/t exhaust manifold
valves
springs
cam #12
retainers
guides

am i missing anything? how much could i get out of all of that? just 10-15 whp? or could i do with titanium springs( and what else) for more gains....?
You only need the valves and guides if your buying a bare head, otherwise it should have those already installed. Just so you know, the standard SOHC head and the Magnum head use different valves, they are the same size, its just that the Magnum valves use a triple bead lock for the retainers, while the standard SOHC head valves use a single bead. The Magnum valve springs should be fine with the Crane 12, but if your more comfortable with titanium springs and retianers then go for it...just make sure the retainers are the triple bead kind. You'll also need all the gaskets and new headbolts, and you'll have to decide what you want to do on the intake side of things...

You don't need upgraded retainers with a crane cam #12 grind and the new springs. That is all you need.
Isnt that what I said? lol.
why I quoted you. a big + 1.

and wooooooo-eeeeeeeeee look at that quote box.
Haha I wasnt sure there...nice to see you back Freerider, you've been gone for a while.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:58 AM
Freerider
Record Breaker

Yea, this is my last off topic post.

I have been driving, working, and now I am going through summer college course..... ontop of that I do some off the wall sports (one of which is taking me out to La Porte INDIANA....) and I would be willing to meet up with guys around the chicago il. area for a few hours one day while I am up there.

ANYWAYS!!!!

Upgraded spring retainers are for if your running anything HOTTER than a crane cam 12. The reason is that the added lift you get with the crane cam (and the reason you need shorter valve springs to compensate) is not demanding enough that you need titanium valve spring retainers. YES you can go ahead and buy titanium valve spring retainers... but when you think of the grand scheme the cost a lot of money for a simple purpose you don't NEED them for. Last time I checked they were QUITE expensive.....

Old 06-08-2007, 04:08 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Man I know what its like being busy, I'm actually going to be moving into a new apartment within the next few weeks and I wont have any internet right away...so you guys might have to live without me for a few days (or a week or two).

Old 06-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh my god our neon god is leaving us!?!?!? SPIKEYMIKEY ITS YOUR TIME! jk.... well ok so do you guys have links to all the parts i would need as im trying to make myself a big shopping list hehehehe *evil grin*

Old 06-09-2007, 05:27 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

oh my god our neon god is leaving us!?!?!? SPIKEYMIKEY ITS YOUR TIME! jk.... well ok so do you guys have links to all the parts i would need as im trying to make myself a big shopping list hehehehe *evil grin*
Damn I'm only going to be gone for a little while...i'm not going to die or anything lol. [8D]

As for your "shopping list"...are you lookin for all new parts, or all used parts?

Quick Reply: Whats the best cam for turbo setup