2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Whats the best cam for turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:12 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whats the best cam for turbo setup

well the subject says it all.... what cam is the best for a turbo application....?

Old 06-05-2007, 04:17 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Whats the best cam for turbo setup

Comp 400 and Crane 12 are both excellent turbo cams because they both stay within the stock powerband and make low end and high end power (you dont need to rev high when you turbo these motors), among other reasons. For a standard SOHC head I would say go with the 12 though...

Old 06-05-2007, 05:36 AM
Izero
Champion

now is it possible to put the Magnum head on a regular neon motor... like will it just bolt right up and if so what can you expect from it?

Old 06-05-2007, 12:22 PM
tooslow
Veteran

the crane 12 is good but the comp 400 has too much overlap for turbo setup.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:31 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: tooslow

the crane 12 is good but the comp 400 has too much overlap for turbo setup.
I've been told the Comp 400 is one of the best turbo cams for the Magnum head...and yes Izero, you can just bolt up a Magnum head...but you'll also need a Magum exhaust header (or the Mattdog Magnum Adaptor and SRT manifold). A used complete Mag. head will cost in the $250 range, sometimes more, or you can buy a brand new bare Mag head for $300, then you would need all the other parts (cam, springs, retainers, valves, guides). As for gains, probably 10whp-15whp depending on the cam, exhaust header, and intake manifold you have.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:09 AM
Izero
Champion

ok so just to list it out if i wanted to put the magnum head on my car i'd need:
Magnum Head
Borla or r/t exhaust manifold
valves
springs
cam #12
retainers
guides

am i missing anything? how much could i get out of all of that? just 10-15 whp? or could i do with titanium springs( and what else) for more gains....?

Old 06-07-2007, 04:32 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Izero

ok so just to list it out if i wanted to put the magnum head on my car i'd need:
Magnum Head
valves
springs
cam #12
retainers
guides

am i missing anything? how much could i get out of all of that? just 10-15 whp? or could i do with titanium springs( and what else) for more gains....?
You only need the valves and guides if your buying a bare head, otherwise it should have those already installed. Just so you know, the standard SOHC head and the Magnum head use different valves, they are the same size, its just that the Magnum valves use a triple bead lock for the retainers, while the standard SOHC head valves use a single bead. The Magnum valve springs should be fine with the Crane 12, but if your more comfortable with titanium springs and retianers then go for it...just make sure the retainers are the triple bead kind. You'll also need all the gaskets and new headbolts, and you'll have to decide what you want to do on the intake side of things...

Old 06-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Izero
Champion

lol... anytime you want to do one little thing you have to do a million other things.... oy.... hahaha

Old 06-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 03neonRT

Magnum Head
valves
springs
cam #12
retainers
guides

You only need the valves and guides if your buying a bare head, otherwise it should have those already installed. Just so you know, the standard SOHC head and the Magnum head use different valves, they are the same size, its just that the Magnum valves use a triple bead lock for the retainers, while the standard SOHC head valves use a single bead. The Magnum valve springs should be fine with the Crane 12, but if your more comfortable with titanium springs and retianers then go for it...just make sure the retainers are the triple bead kind. You'll also need all the gaskets and new headbolts, and you'll have to decide what you want to do on the intake side of things...

You don't need upgraded retainers with a crane cam #12 grind and the new springs. That is all you need.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:58 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Freerider

ORIGINAL: 03neonRT

Magnum Head
valves
springs
cam #12
retainers
guides

You don't need upgraded retainers with a crane cam #12 grind and the new springs. That is all you need.
Isnt that what I said? lol.

Quick Reply: Whats the best cam for turbo setup