2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Underdrive Pulley worthy investment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:40 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underdrive Pulley worthy investment?

I am pondering about purchasing an Unorthadox underdrive pulley for my car a little later down the road, does the underdrive pulley help a noticeable differance off the line, and is it an overall effective/noticable modifcation?? I've also heard of some cons regarding battery drainage, is this something that I should be concerned about even though im not into big stereos and all that jazz?? Thanks as usual guys!

Old 06-08-2007, 02:56 PM
lblackneon
Champion
Default RE: Underdrive Pulley worthy investment?

Yes there are cons. I also think it reduces the life of the accessories. Under the discription it says it extends the life of the accessories but I think it does the opposite. I had to replace my alternator and power steering pump and it might have been b/c of the udp. I might be wrong though. I could have had to replace those two units b/c it was just about that time to do so. I purchased my udp in mid 2004 and I had my p steering and alt replaced around 6 months ago.
As far as the gains, the most improvement that you'll feel is the increase of power with the AC on. Other than that, you probably wont feel any increase but in your head. Then again, the AFX udp was the first mod to be installed on my car. Every mod helps to benefit another.
I wouldn't buy another udp that is smaller in diameter. I'm having Modern Performance customize one which is only lighter. By the pulleys being smaller they send less power to the accessories.
Yes if you're big on sound systems then I wouldn't recommend a regular aftermarket udp. I'm into stereo systems and that's the main reason I'm having an udp customized.

If u want an AFX udp I'll be selling it when I get my other udp. The AFX looks brand new.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:19 PM
nswap7
Captain

how much?

Old 06-08-2007, 11:30 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

anybody have anymore personal experience w/ the udp / input about it?

Old 06-09-2007, 02:30 AM
nswap7
Captain

just wait for 03neonRT to get on. he can tell you all about it. he's got the Unorthodox Udp

Old 06-09-2007, 02:50 AM
snare_samn
Professional

I have an unorthodox underdrive pulley and I've also had some starter/alternator problems. I don't use my AC though so I don't know about the differences there. Battery drainage problems went away when I bought a bigger battery (1075 watts, lol) and no problems since.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:20 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

I have the Unorthodox UDP and have never had any battery drainage problems, alternator problems, or A/C problems at all.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:42 PM
lblackneon
Champion

As far as the bigger battery goes, I had the Optima Red top to go with my sound system and it got drained in about 2 years or less. The lights started fading way before then. I recently attempted to buy a yellow top Optima but he said I wont get the warranty b/c my alt isn't sending enough power.
How long have u had it 03RT?

Old 06-09-2007, 12:43 PM
lblackneon
Champion

ORIGINAL: nswap7

how much?
Oh; I think it'll be around $85 shipped.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:46 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

I'ver had it on the car almost since I have bought it, since it was one of my first mods...so say two years and 35k miles. I will note though that I have had my alternator replaced, but it was because of bad bearings on the alternator pulley, not because of poor performance. I have also heard of some battery drainage issues with a UDP and a larger sound syatem, but not really with stock everything else.

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulley worthy investment?