2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Revving motor/ increasing RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:56 PM
nickm347
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revving motor/ increasing RPM?

A friend left her Neon over at my house because when the engine was turned on, the motor would slowly increase in RPM's, as if someone as pressing on the accelerator. I dont know much about these cars, but I blelieve it is around a 2003 model, SXT trim, with a 2.4L maybe? a dohc i think, but i dont remeber. its an ATX with around 64K miles I think.
Can anyone help me out? I was first going to try and reset the computer, maybe that might do something, but the CEL is not on. Not sure if it is a sensor or something. Thanks for any help

Old 06-11-2007, 03:02 PM
prpaster
Professional
Default RE: Revving motor/ increasing RPM?

it is a 2.0 sohc engine and my guess would be the TPS sensor. did you check to see if there are any codes? To do this put the key in the ignition and turn it on then off and do this 3 times then on the dash were the miles are displayed it shall either say done if there arent any codes or it will start to show codes in the format of P****. Try that and let us know if there are any

Old 06-11-2007, 04:20 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

I would check for vacuum leaks before replacing sesnors. Go to Autozone or somewhere and buy a can of throttle body cleaner, then spray the cleaner around the intake manifold where it seats on the cylinder head, along with around the bellows tube, TB and air box, and the vacuum lines. If the engine starts to studder or sound different while your spraying the cleaner, thats where the leak is.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:37 PM
nickm347

okay good ideas. I will check to see if there are any codes and I think i have a can of TB cleaner and I will give that a try. It could be a vaccum leak possibly, I noticed the air intake tube was bunched up a bit, but it looked okay around the TB. I'll post back up and see what you guys think.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Mikeyneon20mag

I was talking to a friend of mine about a problem with my car and he said his buddys 03 neon was doind what your car was doing, they found out the it was the tps wireing plug, they said when the motor would rock back that it would slowly pull the wires out of the plug that goes to you tp sensor.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Pharmboy
Veteran

Tps would normally set the engine light; my guess is a large intake leak, like a vacuum leak but technically not one, somewhere in between the throttle and the head. Check with the cleaner if you can let it run safely, or just inspect all the joints in that area. Many cars that come in and do that sort of thing have a broken plenum gasket.

Quick Reply: Revving motor/ increasing RPM?