2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

camshaft Qs

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 07:07 PM
lblackneon
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: camshaft Qs

U don't need a cam gear if u get one of the Crane cams. It's just great for tuning but it's not necessary.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: lblackneon

U don't need a cam gear if u get one of the Crane cams. It's just great for tuning but it's not necessary.
+1... why would you need a new cam gear????

plus, YES you should do a lot of bolt on work before purchasing and doing a cam. A cam helps... but every part that you do to help it take in air, and get it out helps tremendously and will result in much higher gains.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:36 PM
dysphagia
Rookie

when are you gonna turbo your car jeff? seeing that you have the turbo cam and all we did aarons 240 for under 500 bucks, i say the sxt is next

Old 06-16-2007, 12:21 AM
Freerider
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: dysphagia

when are you gonna turbo your car jeff? seeing that you have the turbo cam and all we did aarons 240 for under 500 bucks, i say the sxt is next
Haha sean. Whenever I get 3500 bucks to spend on the stage 2 Hahn kit. It comes with a 10g turbo if I looked it over right.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:17 AM
neon03se
Record Breaker

3500 where'd you find a turbo for that much?

Old 06-16-2007, 01:46 AM
dysphagia
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Freerider

Haha sean. Whenever I get 3500 bucks to spend on the stage 2 Hahn kit. It comes with a 10g turbo if I looked it over right.
10g does not exsist, IIRC hahn offers a 16g with the 2g kit. which btw is a huge waste of money. 16g would produce mid 300's with every bolt on and a tune(i'll help with tuning if you get to that point). derek is running a 16g on his galant and it is a nice turbo for early spool and a nice powerband.
you can get the turbo for ~400, a manifold for ~200, IC kit for ~500(for a nice kit), and then all you'd need would be a fuel pump, injectors and a fuel controller ~400. if you really wanted to we could make the fmic kit, and the manifold and eliminate quite a bit of expense (I happen to still have my stock IC if you need it) even if you buy all the parts you'd still be 1500 bucks ahead of the game.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:24 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well that manifold is a lot of work in itself.... you will need to do a lot of custom modifications, and i do mean a lot... plus a TIG welder for strength and reliability...... and then you will need the fuel reg. and return line, as well as the turbo oil lines and such, hmmm what else? hmmm i think thats about it, im prolly forgetting something but its all good. and anything bigger than a 16g wont spool to its fullest potential until about 5500-6500 RPM so its just a waste of every single bit of the Neon's power curve and is a true waste of money, the biggest i would ever go on a Neon would be a 20g which is an option with the Hahn Stage II kit.... but hey what would we know about the HRC kit, and its proven engineering on Neons.....

Old 06-16-2007, 03:37 AM
Freerider
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Freerider

10g does not exsist, IIRC hahn offers a 16g with the 2g kit. which btw is a huge waste of money. 16g would produce mid 300's with every bolt on and a tune(i'll help with tuning if you get to that point). derek is running a 16g on his galant and it is a nice turbo for early spool and a nice powerband.
you can get the turbo for ~400, a manifold for ~200, IC kit for ~500(for a nice kit), and then all you'd need would be a fuel pump, injectors and a fuel controller ~400. if you really wanted to we could make the fmic kit, and the manifold and eliminate quite a bit of expense (I happen to still have my stock IC if you need it) even if you buy all the parts you'd still be 1500 bucks ahead of the game.
crap I should really read over my posts before I hit the accept button. I meant 20g.... But I might take you up on that offer. Especially if I get my hands on a fair sum of money.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:14 AM
sxt4
Rookie

You will need an adjustable[/b] timing gear[/b] for the crane cams as they have +3deg timing designed into them. im almost positve on that but you may want to research the specs on it. Dont quote me though.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:39 PM
dysphagia
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Izero

well that manifold is a lot of work in itself.... you will need to do a lot of custom modifications, and i do mean a lot... plus a TIG welder for strength and reliability...... and then you will need the fuel reg. and return line, as well as the turbo oil lines and such, hmmm what else? hmmm i think thats about it, im prolly forgetting something but its all good. and anything bigger than a 16g wont spool to its fullest potential until about 5500-6500 RPM so its just a waste of every single bit of the Neon's power curve and is a true waste of money, the biggest i would ever go on a Neon would be a 20g which is an option with the Hahn Stage II kit.... but hey what would we know about the HRC kit, and its proven engineering on Neons.....
a 20g would make 18psi @ 4200 rpms so its not that insane but its out there. all that custom stuff is my cup of tea and we have a full shop that has TIG, MIG, plasma, mills, lathes, water jets, all the good stuff so its not really a problem to fab stuff up. the 240 we just finished was totally cutsom, the only parts purchased were fmu, injectors and the turbo. the manifold, piping, , oil/water lines were all done by us.

Quick Reply: camshaft Qs