2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

camshaft Qs

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:14 PM
THExRED
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camshaft Qs

uhh........ i really dont know anything about camshafts, but i would like to get one for my neon....(if that makes any sense) i looked around and i think im going with compcams but theres a series to choose from and i dont know what to get. i have a 2005 neon sxt automatic if anyone could inform me of what i should do i would greatly appreciate it

[IMG]local://upfiles/64367/9D11F660265D4CBD9AF0B36A7FE736DA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-14-2007, 03:17 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Default RE: camshaft Qs

If your going with Comp, go with the Comp 200. You will also need to buy Magnum valve springs.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

now what are the different cams : #10 #12 and #14 .... what are the benifits from each and which is best for what kind of setup?

Old 06-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Izero

now what are the different cams : #10 #12 and #14 .... what are the benifits from each and which is best for what kind of setup?
#10 is most commonly referred to as a magnum cam. It is so similar that its just cheaper to go and buy a magnum cam than it is to buy the crane #10.

#12 is a very good grind for a turbo set up. It will offer the best gains as far as turbo cams can go. They also work for N/A set ups but its cheaper to just go with a magnum cam if your really looking for power on the cheap. This is what I have. I am seeing pretty modest gains and the car is working a whole lot better.

#14 is a serious B.A. cam for full N/A vehicles. It is big so you need to do a little work to the head to get it to work along with new retainers and some other goodies so your cam will work.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats a very good explaination as far as i am concerned...... thanks a bunch :-D i think im gonna go with a #12 eventually then...

Old 06-15-2007, 12:06 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Freerider

ORIGINAL: Izero

#10 is most commonly referred to as a magnum cam. It is so similar that its just cheaper to go and buy a magnum cam than it is to buy the crane #10.

#12 is a very good grind for a turbo set up. It will offer the best gains as far as turbo cams can go. They also work for N/A set ups but its cheaper to just go with a magnum cam if your really looking for power on the cheap. This is what I have. I am seeing pretty modest gains and the car is working a whole lot better.

#14 is a serious B.A. cam for full N/A vehicles. It is big so you need to do a little work to the head to get it to work along with new retainers and some other goodies so your cam will work.
Pretty good general explanation, but I would say that the Magnum cam is much closer to a Crane 12 then a Crane 10...for a basic SOHC cylinder head, I wouldnt go any further then a Crane #12 or Comp 200 camshaft.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:51 PM
THExRED

thanks, i appreciate it........ but i think i should get all my basic bolt ons first before i do anything internally, right?

Old 06-15-2007, 01:15 PM
sxt4
Rookie

I know your considering the crane #12but...
Alotof people have put in the magnum cam with out very many other supporting mods. It might be worth your time to find a magnum head w/ the spring and cam shaft already installed. You can get one from a junkyard fairly cheap. That would save you from having to port and polish your sxt head. If you do swap your cam with your stock head, it might be worth port matching it to your gaskets. The engine will "breath" alot better and "appreciate"your future mods more.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:05 PM
lblackneon
Champion

RTs are hard to find at junk yards. If u can find one and get the parts for a good price then go for it.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:58 PM
sxt4
Rookie

Theres one thing that i forot to mention, with the crane cam you need an adjustable cam gear. Not sure for the exact reason but i know you do. With the comp cam you dont but it may still be a good idea for tuning. Good luck!!

Quick Reply: camshaft Qs