2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

How-To Altezza Tail Light Mod![Updated!]

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How-To Altezza Tail Light Mod![Updated!]

Maybe 03Neonrt will sticky this but we'll see.... anyways i took some pictures while i did this b/c my dad accidentally cracked my altezza's... well just the clear part anyways here goes!:

Items Needed:

1) Phillips head Screwdriver
2) Heat Gun OR an Oven
3) Silicon based Clear drying sealant with a thin nozzle
4) Gloves
5) A Gasket scraper or a very thin/narrow screwdriver w/ a shorter handle
6) A Few soft clean cloths
7) A type of solvent that is safe for plastics (for use in cleaning up...silicon can get messy)

Step One:
If you have a heat gun put it on low and with the clear plastic facing down on a clean cloth begin to heat the edges of the housing, REMEMBER to keep the heat gun MOVING or you will melt/deform the plastic and ruin the tail lights. Start with the 4 screws that you should see on the back and use a Phillips head screwdriver to remove them.

Step Two:
With your Gloves on begin to pull the clear lens off of the housing. If needed use a flathead screwdriver to pry the lens off BUT STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE CORNERS or you will risk cracking or breaking the corners off or possibly the whole lens.

Step Three:

NOTE: This step will take a good amount of time so be very patient if you want it to come out good!

When you have the lens completely off let the housing sit on the cloth with the outside face facing up for about 1-2 min. or until the housing is cool enough to touch your skin without burning it. Take your narrow flathead screwdriver and start scraping the left over sealant out of the housing, DO NOT USE HEAT TO REMOVE THE SEALANT! As it will cause the sealant to become sticky and will act as messy silicon and get everywhere and become harder to remove, that said use the screwdriver to scrape the sealant out as you pull on the part of it that is coming out. Do so until you are satisfied that all of the sealant is removed.

As an alternate step you can use automotive spray paint and a clear coat to make the sealant color match the housing.

Step Four:
Using the tube of sealant with the thin nozzle begin to seal the tail light as shown in the picture. Be sure to seal all around each part.

This is the sealant I used it seems to have worked alright but it dries stiff which may crack under vibration so I suggest a silicon based sealant.

And heres a Before and After:

Before:

After:

I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR PROBLEMS CAUSED BY THIS MODIFICATION DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! Thank you!

Old 07-27-2007, 06:56 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How-To Altezza Tail Light Mod!

Good write up! But wheres the engine bay shot??? lol

Old 07-27-2007, 07:15 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

ver nice writeup, but what does it do

Old 07-27-2007, 07:22 PM
DouglasSXT
Veteran

A write up without the finished product pic??? [8D] lol

Old 07-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Yako
Captain

baka, need a pic of the finished work

Old 07-28-2007, 01:43 AM
GrApHite03

Altezzas? The term comes from the toyota altezza and its style of OEM tail light. yours are not altezzas or even look like them for that matter.

It looks like you just pulled the clear lens off your tail lights. Thanks for the write, but pretty useless to us unless we have the same tailights as you.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Izero
Champion

ORIGINAL: GrApHite03

Altezzas? The term comes from the toyota altezza and its style of OEM tail light. yours are not altezzas or even look like them for that matter.

It looks like you just pulled the clear lens off your tail lights. Thanks for the write, but pretty useless to us unless we have the same tailights as you.
Then get up off your *** and buy some for yourself, http://modernperformance.com/dcx/200...l_lights.shtml and while you're at it buy yourself a roll of duct tape and tape your hands to something far away from the keyboard, ktnx!
[sm=thanx.gif]

and sorry 03 the engine shot is on the opposite side of the car :-P hehehehe

and im gonna take a picture of the finished product today right after i wash my car

Old 07-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

I thought everyone hated "Altezzas"?

..or is it just the chrome ones that are taboo?

Old 07-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Izero
Champion

yea the chrome ones are the ones that look retarded....well sometimes they dont but usually they look bad...

Old 07-28-2007, 07:20 PM
GrApHite03

ORIGINAL: Izero

ORIGINAL: GrApHite03

Then get up off your *** and buy some for yourself, http://modernperformance.com/dcx/200...l_lights.shtml and while you're at it buy yourself a roll of duct tape and tape your hands to something far away from the keyboard, ktnx!
[sm=thanx.gif]

and sorry 03 the engine shot is on the opposite side of the car :-P hehehehe

and im gonna take a picture of the finished product today right after i wash my car
No thanks you couldn't pay me to put those on my car.

Quick Reply: How-To Altezza Tail Light Mod![Updated!]