2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

shifting problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 01:40 PM
barbaranna
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting problem?

I emailed you about a problem I was having with a Dodge Neon/05 concerning the transmission. I don't know anything aboutauto's, but I doknow that when I test drove it and drove it out oft he lot iswasnot like that. When I start off , the gearthat it goes into kicks back a little,you can tottally feel it shifting into that gear by a jerk feeling. The other gears it shifts into are very smooth and you can barely feel it. I told the dealer and we took it to a transmission place called Continental. He assured me it probably was very minor and that sometimes the computer doesnt read the transmission properly, especially if tires have been changed or battery gets disconnected. Well I left it there and the dealer told me that it was the computer. The guy said that even though nothing shows up on the scanner, and that wouldnt show up that you have to know what to look for. The receipt shows reprogrammed the transmission something or other . Starts with a Con. and set something that starts with a pi. I thought it was fixed. When I drove it out of the lot, it still does that, doesnt feel as much but it still does it. He told me thatshifting into all gears should be smooth. I thought just maybe Neon's were a little harder or something. I feel embarrassed to let the dealer know I am going to bother him again. I dont want to be a pain or anything if it is really suppose to shift harder into the first gear than the others. It is an 2005. I know it is used but I just have had it for 3 weeks, and my warranty will be up soon. Can you help please

Old 07-31-2007, 03:06 PM
neonxst05
Rookie
Default RE: shifting problem?

I have an 05 Neon ATX myself and I have to say it does not have that symptom. It does happen sometimes but not very often. There is a sensor inside the trans that monitors the position of the transmission and what might be happenning is that the PCM is getting a false "D" position while the trans is not fully engaded into D. therefore it causes a jerk when the torque converter kicks in. You might have to have that sensor checked out and see if all the sensors are working properly. Your PCM might be just fine, it probalbly just doesnt get accurate information. The PCM can only work with the input it gets.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:36 PM
I own only Dodge
Professional
Default RE: shifting problem?

Mine does that, I was told it was because it has a hydraulic tranny and it has to do with an irratic rpm range. Mine only does it if i accelerate or deccelerate quickly.i also have an 05 caravan that does the same.

Quick Reply: shifting problem?