2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:29 AM
tankhardrive
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few questions

hi all i have a 2004 dodge neon sxt man. tran. and i was able to pick up the majority of parts for a turbo for it for a small price. and i had a few questions i was hoping you could help me with. i have not really worked on my car it has a CAI and strut bars front and back thats it. i also dont really have an idea of how to do the turbo, i will be having friends help me that know some but we are going out on a limb. this is what i have so far.

* Garrett TO4 Turbo
* Custom Turbo Manifold (Made for me by a local turbo shop from a new 1997 Dodge Neon Exhaust Manifold)
* Hard Turbo Oil Supply Line
* Turbo Compressor Intake Elbow
* 6 lb. Wastegate Actuator
* Most of the rest of the Brass fittings including for the Oil sending unit and line fittings and the oil drain fitting, line, and flange
* Brand new Mitsubishi 6 lb. BOV
* Brand new set of studs/bolts for manifold
* Exhaust Downpipe flange and espbestos gasket
* FMU 10:1 ratio

im assuming i will need a new exhaust manifold because of the year. i also know i need a new fuel pump.

1) if i run the turbo at 5psi would i need an intercooler? ive had people tell me both ways yes and no, some say yes just cuz its a turbo and some say no because 5psi isnt much and shouldnt need the cooling yet.

2) i have stock clutch will it be able to handle the extra power and torque? or should i upgrade?

3) will the cold air work in this configuration or will i need a new one for the application?

4) should i upgrade the fuel injectors ive seen turbo kits saying they supply 270cc injectors cant find them, or will sotck work?

thats all i can think of right now its late im sure ill think of more later. am i forgetting anything important or things you would reccomend doing else? how does the set up look? and just any advice you can give. im sure ill see a prof install from some one but i really wanna do it myself and make this a learning experience.

thanks in advance!!!

Old 08-17-2007, 11:38 AM
antitrustspider
Veteran
Default RE: few questions

You should be able to run 8 psi on a stock motor. You should still use an intercooler unless you want hot air being pumped into your engine.

Stock clutch could handle it but not for very long. Upgrade just to be safe and it will perform better.

Turbo set ups usually have the intake in a different location so you'd need something different than what a stock SXT uses.

You would need bigger injectors because your car will be pushing in a lot more air. The small injectors may not be able to supply enough fuel to keep your car running right.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:03 PM
tankhardrive
Professional

ORIGINAL: antitrustspider

You should be able to run 8 psi on a stock motor. You should still use an intercooler unless you want hot air being pumped into your engine.

Stock clutch could handle it but not for very long. Upgrade just to be safe and it will perform better.

Turbo set ups usually have the intake in a different location so you'd need something different than what a stock SXT uses.

You would need bigger injectors because your car will be pushing in a lot more air. The small injectors may not be able to supply enough fuel to keep your car running right.
ok yeah i dont want hot air so i ill be getting an intercooler. ok so ill need to replace the cold air intake i have on there then thats fine. any one know where i can buy a torubo intake? and what size injectors do you reccomend i cant find the 270cc ones listed in the turbo kits im trying to follow for parts. thanks.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Adionik
Champion

dumbass edit;

yup, i forgot the cai now goes to the turbo.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:13 PM
antitrustspider
Veteran

If it's a custom set-up you may not be able to just buy a CAI for it. If the turbo will be mounted in the same place and orientation as the SRT-4 you might be able to use one built for the SRT-4. You can get them on ebay or at summitracing.com or jegs.com.

As for where to get the injectors, don't know.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:10 PM
tankhardrive
Professional

yeah i havent gotten the turbo yet (its on its way) so im not sure where it will mount. so when i get it and take a look at everything ill have a better idea. hope i can just use my cai but we'll see.

now if i bought a 370cc injector (or one close to that size) and used those would i run into problems with the turbo set up like flooding or any thing?

and for upgrading my tranny if i get say a stage 2 clutch kit that can hold high 200's would that be all i needed to upgrade? or still do more?

and i think i forgot to mention im gonna run it with a stock exhaust at first i will upgrade it but maybe not right away. will this cause probs? it wouldnt run with stock long maybe just a few months till i get a lil more money (college is expensive).

thanks for all the help!

Old 08-17-2007, 06:19 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: tankhardrive

hi all i have a 2004 dodge neon sxt man. tran. and i was able to pick up the majority of parts for a turbo for it for a small price. and i had a few questions i was hoping you could help me with. i have not really worked on my car it has a CAI and strut bars front and back thats it. i also dont really have an idea of how to do the turbo, i will be having friends help me that know some but we are going out on a limb. this is what i have so far.

* Garrett TO4 Turbo
* Custom Turbo Manifold (Made for me by a local turbo shop from a new 1997 Dodge Neon Exhaust Manifold)
* Most of the rest of the Brass fittings including for the Oil sending unit and line fittings and the oil drain fitting, line, and flange

im assuming i will need a new exhaust manifold because of the year. i also know i need a new fuel pump.

1) if i run the turbo at 5psi would i need an intercooler? ive had people tell me both ways yes and no, some say yes just cuz its a turbo and some say no because 5psi isnt much and shouldnt need the cooling yet.

2) i have stock clutch will it be able to handle the extra power and torque? or should i upgrade?

3) will the cold air work in this configuration or will i need a new one for the application?

4) should i upgrade the fuel injectors ive seen turbo kits saying they supply 270cc injectors cant find them, or will sotck work?

thats all i can think of right now its late im sure ill think of more later. am i forgetting anything important or things you would reccomend doing else? how does the set up look? and just any advice you can give. im sure ill see a prof install from some one but i really wanna do it myself and make this a learning experience.

thanks in advance!!!
1). Need One? No. Should you run one? Definitely.

2). The stock Neon clutch is only good for around 160wtq, but a stock clutch will last for a short amount of time (they can last longer if you baby it around though). If I were you I would upgrade right away though...

3). You could probably re-use some of the piping, but it wont be a direct fit. The filter will work though.

4). Yes, you need upgraded stock fuel injectors. But the 270cc injectors should be fine as long as your running lower amount of boost.

As for the setup, the FMU provided wont do you much good, you'll be much better off with a Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator (RRFPR) and you'll still need a return line and upgraded fuel pump. Unless of course you decide to go with MS for fuel management...

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head...

Old 08-17-2007, 06:49 PM
tankhardrive
Professional

ORIGINAL: 03neonRT

ORIGINAL: tankhardrive

* Garrett TO4 Turbo

thanks in advance!!!
1). Need One? No. Should you run one? Definitely.

2). The stock Neon clutch is only good for around 160wtq, but a stock clutch will last for a short amount of time (they can last longer if you baby it around though). If I were you I would upgrade right away though...

3). You could probably re-use some of the piping, but it wont be a direct fit. The filter will work though.

4). Yes, you need upgraded stock fuel injectors. But the 270cc injectors should be fine as long as your running lower amount of boost.

As for the setup, the FMU provided wont do you much good, you'll be much better off with a Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator (RRFPR) and you'll still need a return line and upgraded fuel pump. Unless of course you decide to go with MS for fuel management...

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head...
thanks and yeah forgot to say it is a rising rate one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...61285&rd=1 is the link to the one i got.

Quick Reply: few questions