2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Chrysler motors

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007 | 03:22 PM
flatland69
Default RE: Chrysler motors

Sorry guys, its just I've tried so many forums, and all people do is be sarcastic and not be helpful! I felt guilty all day! So, I apologize. Nice to see you guys are kind enough to not take me out even though I'm in the wrong!

Anyway, I'm looking to install a Chrysler ENGINE into a Mini Cooper, just to be different (and of course fast!). The Mini uses the 1.6 Tritec engine that is also used in non-US PT Cruisers and Neons, and so far it looks like an engine transplant won't be too hard (not not hard, just not as hard). So, I'm considering a 2.4l PT Cruiser motor, or a 2.0l R/T PT Cruiser engine. I would LOVE to get an SRT engine, but you don't get them in South Africa. I was considering importing one, but costs would be huge. So anyway, my issue is that the 2.0 is a SOHC and the 2.4 a DOHC, and I'm concerned that the timing etc. will be hard to get right. And since you guys are in the know, I thought I'd ask for suggestions etc!

Thanks all, and sorry again!

Old 09-03-2007 | 03:42 PM
05SXT_Owner
Professional

Actually, the PT Cruiser 2.4 liter engine is the exact same as the SRT-4 engine but cheaper. Not sure as to why though.

Old 09-03-2007 | 03:45 PM
flatland69

Really?!? Just without the turbo I'm guessing? I thought the SRT motor would have all kinds of strengthened bits...

Old 09-03-2007 | 03:54 PM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker

Same engine, just no turbo and diffrent computer.
As for the timing issues, you could not controll those. Everything on 2003+is controlled by the cpu (ngc ignition.... i think its called) and is not adjustable.You would have to do a full computer and wiring harness swap also. Thenmake the harness custom to match up tothe mini's interior and body harness. Also is the sentry key issue, you would have to install the key meckanisam (cant spell) onto your steering colum.

Or maby you could use an older motor that can use no computer...... maby pre 1998.... not exactly sure about the older engines and computers.... i sure someone will fill in what i have left out or correct me if im wrong but here's a start for u!

Old 09-03-2007 | 04:00 PM
GrApHite03

The export neon came with a 1.8l engine which is very different than the chrysler made 1.4/1.6 used by BMW and Rover.

Back to your original post...

Anything is possible with enough money and time. It will not be a direct swap by any means. All the electronics from the neon will have to swapped into your car.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/18.html
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/rover.html

Old 09-04-2007 | 04:02 PM
flatland69

I was panning using the Mini electronics etc with the SOHC engine, but was worried it wouldnt work with the DOHC engine due to the different cam timing etc. Guess an aftermarket ECU would fix that problem...

There was definately a 1.6 motor used in Neons and PT Cruisers though, I've seen one.

Old 09-04-2007 | 05:36 PM
GrApHite03

Your right, i'm wrong... The 1.6l was fitted into the neon in some export locations. sorry, never really paid attention to exports, except for the RHD australian models. damn, i want one!

anyway, in the 2.0l neon world some have gotten a DOHC to run with a SOHC computer... None of them have done it without running into problems. (that i can find anyway)

what year is your mini? why not put in the 1.6 SC?

Old 09-04-2007 | 06:35 PM
sparky1_2007
Professional

couldn't he put in a AF/X PCM and have it piggyback his Cooper ECU?

im jwin, cause it might be worth a shot if he gets the 2.0l motor.

Old 09-05-2007 | 10:18 AM
flatland69

It's a 2003...No Cooper S motor for 2 reasons:

1) It's the "logical" thing to do; the road most often taken. It would be very cool to do something different. The project will be great fun!
2) The 1.6 motor will have less potential than a 2.0 or a 2.4...I mean, if I end up going the turbo route. Imagine a 2.4l Turbo motor in something that is scarcely over a ton!

Old 09-05-2007 | 02:13 PM
GrApHite03

ORIGINAL: flatland69

It's a 2003...No Cooper S motor for 2 reasons:

1) It's the "logical" thing to do; the road most often taken. It would be very cool to do something different. The project will be great fun!
2) The 1.6 motor will have less potential than a 2.0 or a 2.4...I mean, if I end up going the turbo route. Imagine a 2.4l Turbo motor in something that is scarcely over a ton!
I will agree with #1, but not #2... Only because i have a buddy with a B16A in his 99 coupe that threw 11 psi on the stock motor and made 313whp. I threw 10psi on my 2.0l and only made 219whp. Yes, his compression is a bit higher, but my point is to never underestimate a sub 2.0l engine.

What sparky1_2007 said is more than likely do-able, but you have to decide which computer is going to control what. You will need a neon computer to control a neon engine, bottom line. If you are very talented in the electronics field, you may be able to use the neon harness to control everything else in the car. Cluster, cruise control, etc... good luck with that though. If not you will have to custom fit the neon cluster in your dash.

As far as your number 2 reason... i say keep your cooper as a daily driver and buy a first gen neon and boost that.

k3v

Quick Reply: Chrysler motors