2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

gas milage for turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:58 AM
SXTspeed
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas milage for turbo?

Got a quick question about turbos and miles per gallon. I know that superchargers decrease gas milage and I am sure turbos do as well since it still makes more fuel into the engine, but how much of a difference on gas milage do they make? My neon gets about 26-30 miles per gallon normal driving and an SRT-4 is very close to that so would it depend on the car or what? is there an overall estimate you could expect to lose from turbocharging?

Old 09-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker
Default RE: gas milage for turbo?

superchargers and turbos work on the same principle, force more air into the engine to make an increase in power

simple equation the more air in the engine, the more fuel needed

Old 09-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

oh, and the power doesnt just come from the increase in air, all the air does is increase the volume of fuel it can hold and supply ample ammounts for cumbustion to take place. so yes, turbos will eat up more fuel.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:32 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

If your concerned about good gas mileage then dont turbocharge a car that wasnt meant to be turbocharged.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

I'm building up my engine to take a turbo I know gas milage will suck, but eventually (thats when I get a new car and this one is paid in full) my 2.0L sxt is going to be a purpose built race car (hopefully/possibly)

Old 09-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

and if you think about it.... if you have the ECU (or megesquirt), injectors, fuel pump, etc. off a SRT, which you WILL need to turbo your car. gas mileage wouldnt be too diferent from an SRT, i would see it being slightly better being it's a smaller engine. but you would have to build up your bottom end (Push rods, crank shaft, etc) to take the added presure of a turbo on a 2.0L

on second thought, the SRT ecu probably wouldnt work with our SOHC. so megasquirt would be the way to go, or AEM ECU

Old 09-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

Or just do a SRT swap. by the time you build up this engine you would have put out enough to pay the 5.5K to do the swap. just depends on what you want to do.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:54 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Kalevra

and if you think about it.... if you have the ECU (or megesquirt), injectors, fuel pump, etc. off a SRT, which you WILL need to turbo your car. gas mileage wouldnt be too diferent from an SRT, i would see it being slightly better being it's a smaller engine. but you would have to build up your bottom end (Push rods, crank shaft, etc) to take the added presure of a turbo on a 2.0L

on second thought, the SRT ecu probably wouldnt work with our SOHC. so megasquirt would be the way to go, or AEM ECU
We dont have pushrods, the SRT-4 PCM will not work on a 2.0 SOHC, the crankshaft is good for 500+whp/wtq at least, and MS is far better then the AEM unit. Realistically, if you drive like a granny you'll probably get around 20mpg-24mpg on a turbo 2.0 SOHC engine.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

lmao, sorry, I ment connecting rods v.v brain fart

and SRT-4s get around 20-24

this link might help

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5717

Old 09-11-2007, 03:11 PM
GrApHite03

i got anywhere from 25 mpg to 10 mpg, depending on how i drove... picture putting in a turbo and staying out of boost. After letting off at the top of the gear or shifting and seeing the highway light up orange from the flames pouring out of my exhaust i can see where the 10 came from. lol

Quick Reply: gas milage for turbo?