2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Fuel Pump fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 04:10 PM
OK03neon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump fuse keeps blowing

Ok so a few months ago my 03 Neon SE began hesitating, jerking, etc...The check engine light came on and showed a misfire in cylinder 2, low system voltage, and some transaxle issue. I changed the plugs (cylinder's 2 & 3 didn't look too good), wires, air filter, and PCV valve, and it stopped for about two days. Then it came back. Check engine light came on again with a misfire in cylinder 3. A couple of weeks later I replaced the coil pack. It went away again for about a week. Then it came back. It felt like a clogged fuel filter, except it didn't always do it. It got progressively worse until a couple of weeks ago it shut down. No more go. I had it towed to a shop and they found that the fuel pump fuse had blown. They put in a new one and when they tried to start it, it blew again. They couldn't fix electrical, so I towed it to a dealer (against my will). They said it was the fuel pump. I towed it home, put in a new fuse, and changed the fuel pump. It almost started and then I got a clicking sound, and when I tried again there was nothing. It keeps blowing the fuse, even if I just leave it in there without trying to start it. SO...all of that to say I think I have a short in the system somewhere. Does anybody happen to have a diagram of the wiring for the fuel pump? Should I just suck it up and tow it to an electrical shop?[sm=helpout.gif]

Old 09-30-2007, 12:23 AM
ewetho
All Star
Default RE: Fuel Pump fuse keeps blowing

PM sent.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:40 AM
OK03neon
Default RE: Fuel Pump fuse keeps blowing

Thanks for the help ewetho! It turned out to be the PCM. Now after ~$700 total, (PCM, new coil-old one was blown out by the short) plus the $250 for the fuel pump, the car starts, but stalls out after a few seconds. The odometer shows P0633 which has something to do with the key not being programmed. Do I need to take the whole car to the dealer to get the new sentry key, or can I just take some info for them to cut a new key? Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump fuse keeps blowing