2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Transmission Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 04:49 PM
DouglasSXT
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Cooler

Is there anyone on here running an extra tranny cooler on the front of their car? I got one and was wondering if someone maybe had some pics and a little bit more info on how they ran their lines? Reason why i got mine (before I get flamed) is because I do alot of traveling in the mountains and have to be in low gear alot of the time... So I figured if i added the cooler, it would only help with the lifespam of the transmission especially under the conditions I'm driving!

Any help would be great. Tried to search but couldn't really come up with much?

Old 10-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Adionik
Champion
Default RE: Transmission Cooler

i have one. i can take pics, i have been really busy my bad [&:]

Old 10-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

ok, question.... I think i have a tranny cooler already? i have 2 hoses coming from the tranny housing going towards the front to the radiator. Is this just the stock cooler standard on the neon? the hoses are under where the stock airbox would be. so I was curious

Old 10-09-2007, 08:50 AM
DouglasSXT
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Adionik

i have one. i can take pics, i have been really busy my bad [&:]
NP, I noticed in one of the threads I was searching that one installed one, that's why i've been bugging you with the PM's! lol

Please do take some pics for me, and let me know if all you did was run a longer line from the tranny to the aftermarket cooler then another line from the cooler to where the original line is supposed to go. I have the 2 fitting on my cooler so one's the inlet and the other is the outlet. A dual pass cooler I guess?I'm just kinda of screwed up with a few other people telling me I should be doing it differently?

Old 10-09-2007, 08:54 AM
DouglasSXT
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Kalevra

ok, question.... I think i have a tranny cooler already? i have 2 hoses coming from the tranny housing going towards the front to the radiator. Is this just the stock cooler standard on the neon? the hoses are under where the stock airbox would be. so I was curious
Yes if you have an auto, then there's already the stock cooler on the radiator and those are the hoses for it. From what I've read you can take your battery off and the tray in order to get at the hoses for the tranny??? Haven't gotten that far but, that's just what I've read.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Adionik
Champion

I have mine going:

Tranny > Radiator > Tranny Cooler > Tranny

Really not too hard at all...don't over think it. I can't get that many good shots, I wish I would have before I put my bumper back on. I mounted it on the condensor fins I think...but i'll take what i can after work.

You DO need to be careful though. The transmission lines are probably several years old, and therefore have their "spots" they are used to. What do I mean? Hoses that have been in a certain position for years have a tendency to crack and tear when you start relocating them drastically...AKA transmission cooler. I hope this doesn't happen to you. I was at the mall with my gf and the return line busted...leaving me stranded. I almost burned out my tranny..[&:] (Grandparents FTMFW! **** Allstates Customer Service...I told the lady off pretty badly)

Old 10-09-2007, 02:18 PM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker

Tranny > Radiator > Tranny Cooler > Tranny
^^^ that is the way to do it, if you put the cooler before the radiator it will not do anything cause the cooler does not cool that signaficantly (sorry cant spell) if you put it after it will still drop the fluid temp about 15-20 deg. Make sure you get all new hoses, $20 in hoses is nothing comparied to having to get a new tranny cause the hose burst on the freeway. not that hard to do, took me about 2 hours, id take pics but i cant get them to the computer.

ps: dont forget to add a little more fluid!!!

Old 10-09-2007, 03:28 PM
DouglasSXT
Veteran

Hope you guys dont mind me picking your brains some more... Not really sure why I'm having a hard time grasping the concept? Think I'm just worried about hooking it up wrong somehow. The pic thats attatched shows the 2 lines from the tranny as you standing looking at the motor. Do you know which one is the return line? If the one on the left is the return then I was thinking of taking that line off which runs to the far left side of the radaitor. Gonna get a line that runs from that far left side of the tranny to my cooler I have mounted. Then from the other outlet on the cooler, run another line back up to the tranny, thus completing the cycle... Does that sound right to everyone??? I took one of the fittings on the cooler off to get some line tomorrow that fits!
Name:  NeonPics007Medium.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  46.3 KB

I mounted the cooler in front of the radiator, with some self tapping screws to that piece that runs across
the front of the car. Not blocking any of the radiator, plus there it's gonna help cool even better! Looks awesome from the front as well!Thanks for your replies everyone!!!

Name:  NeonPics013Medium.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  32.2 KB

Old 10-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Adionik
Champion

You're not supposed to use your stock lines...i recognize that one from ebay. Mine came with a hose and I used it.

I ran out to my car right now, the return line is the one on the left.

Usually, you start the car and let it idle for a bit. The hose that isn't as hot is the return.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:37 PM
DouglasSXT
Veteran

So I'm good to go then Adionik? The way I described is ok???Yeah i know i gotta get some more line and afew hose clamps, gonna do that tomorrow when I'm out and about... Thanks for your help bro!

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler