2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Ignition Lock

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Magee99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Lock

Hey everybody, new to the site and having some problems with my 2002 RT. My key goes into the igntion but won't turn. The wheel lock is not on so I know it is not that.

It has happened before but ater a couple of minutes of jiggling it worked. Did the same thing for another day or so and then stopped completly for a few months

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brad

Old 10-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Yako
Captain
Default RE: Ignition Lock

u using a copy or factory key? i think the factory keys have some kind of magnet and to get a copy ull need to go to the dealer so they can get u a new one and program it or something like that, but try with the original key

Old 10-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

i know!!!

hit the top of the butt/head of the key while it's in the ignition (as if you were to jam it in) hit it fairly hard. your tumblers are sticking, it will knock it loose

Old 10-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

it happenes to me every once and awhile

Old 10-14-2007, 08:32 AM
bone33
Record Breaker

you need to lubricate your tumblers. buy a bottle of graphite lubricant at the hardware store. put some on your key and also squirt some into the tumblers directly. work it in and out and add more as you go,in a minute or soit will unstick and work real smooth. this stuff is a black powder and it is sort of messy so i suggest that you hold a damp towel just under the ignition when you put it in there. let us know how it goes.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Adionik
Champion

ORIGINAL: bone33

you need to lubricate your tumblers. buy a bottle of graphite lubricant at the hardware store. put some on your key and also squirt some into the tumblers directly. work it in and out and add more as you go,in a minute or soit will unstick and work real smooth. this stuff is a black powder and it is sort of messy so i suggest that you hold a damp towel just under the ignition when you put it in there. let us know how it goes.
Graphite makes lubricant?

Quick Reply: Ignition Lock