2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Control arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:29 AM
Pharmboy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control arm bushings

Hi everyone, I checked over my car today and found out I need new front control arm bushing sets and want to know if anyone has any suggestions. Looking for a polyurethane set probably, anyone have any experience with them? Probably end up changing the motor mounts to poly as well. If anyone has any suggestions on what to buy or where to get them please let me know, thanks.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:44 AM
Adionik
Champion
Default RE: Control arm bushings

I am in the process of doing them. My car is sitting up on jakcstands in my garage as we speak.

taking of the control arm isn't hard, but burning off that rubber bushing is a HUGE bitch. especially the horizontal one. Some shop quoted me $40 bucks to install them, I should've taken it. But I wanted to save money and do them myself. Once you get them off they're a cake...but a bitch until they're done.

I recommend prothane bushings from modern, they're like 34.99

Old 11-04-2007, 02:54 AM
Pharmboy
Veteran

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you have a press, how the hell are you installing bushings without one? I'm a mechanic, havethe tools, and have pressed in and out half a million bushingsso the installation isn't much of a problem, I'm just not too familiar with anything but stock parts, so any suggestions or info about the urethane bushings and motor mounts is welcome. Thanks again.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:08 AM
Adionik
Champion

ORIGINAL: Pharmboy

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you have a press, how the hell are you installing bushings without one? I'm a mechanic, havethe tools, and have pressed in and out half a million bushingsso the installation isn't much of a problem, I'm just not too familiar with anything but stock parts, so any suggestions or info about the urethane bushings and motor mounts is welcome. Thanks again.
I'm doing it with a propane torch, screw driver and mexican creativity. It doesn't feel like i'm getting anywhere, and I probably would have finished last night if I had access to a press. I'm doing it the hard, hard way. I'll finish the driver control arm tomorrow, then due the passenger the next day or something.

I'm trying to avoid paying for it...i'm almost done.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Pharmboy
Veteran

good luckwith that

Old 11-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Adionik
Champion

Well the drivers side is pretty much done. I guess i'll start on the passengers today.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Adionik
Champion

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD just have someone else do it.

I hit my head about 4 times and banged up the rest of my body pretty good....godamn ****ing neons ah;asdlkfjzl;sdkfhzl;dfjagfadf

ah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Pharmboy
Veteran

wow.... well did they fit good, feel any different, I doubt they will i'm just interested in polys because of how long they will last. just find some good pain killers you'll be fine, you've got to sacrafice the body for the job.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Adionik
Champion

ORIGINAL: Pharmboy

wow.... well did they fit good, feel any different, I doubt they will i'm just interested in polys because of how long they will last. just find some good pain killers you'll be fine, you've got to sacrafice the body for the job.
They fit perfect! went in there perfect...no problems about the fitment. Getting the control arm BACK into the car is a huge, I mean huge bitch. Lining up the holes and squeezing it in there in itself is a pain in the *** beyond belief. I understand you're a mechanic and all, but i'm not, so we probably have VERY different views of what is difficult.

Nonetheless, I hear some weird squeaky noises every now and then, but the clunking on the driver side is gone...atleast the noise is. The ride feels a LOT smoother. i'm driving a cadillac baby, lol.

Get 'em, they're a great mod for the price. I'm just going to break down and get the passenger side done "professionally". I can't wait to get the other side done. I almost want to say acceleration feels smoother, but it's probably just being given back after the shot bushings robbed my performance before...

BTW i'm thinking the SRT front sway bar made this big *** turn I took a lot easier...car didn't feel like it was going to flip over

Old 11-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Pablodragon
All Star

Thank you.

here is an example of a person (me) doing a search..

have been getting a pretty rought ride as of late..and I just have stock suspension, springs etc... only thing I have is 16" rims with 205/50 tires.. I seem to be feelin evry bump and joint in the road...maybe alot of it is in my head, btu I'm pretty sure I need these bushings...
..and reading the above, will definetly have some one do it...

but anyone have any direct links (am familiar with some of the on-line places that are mentioned here often)... to what I need?... do I need a whole set, or just control arm bushings?

Quick Reply: Control arm bushings