How much HP could I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007 | 02:59 AM
lblackneon
Champion
Default RE: How much HP could I expect?

ORIGINAL: GrApHite03

ORIGINAL: 03neonRT

Have you seen the turbo's BMW is using on the 135i? They are freaking tiny, and that engine still makes 300HP...people are saying this thing will be able to make 400+RWHP without breaking a sweat.

It's the exact set-up from the 335i... It runs 10.5:1 compression and 9psi. 1 turbo to 3 cyl. There was a post i was reading that they installed a boost controller and turned it up to 12 psi and made almost 80 whp.
Wow!

Old 11-17-2007 | 12:33 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: lblackneon

How does that twin turbo SRT-4 perform in the 1/4 and in power?
Dont know about 1/4 mile, but they made 412whp/396wtq with the following mods on an otherwise stock 2.4L block...

DCR Twin Turbo Kit (Twin TD04's)-w- Twin Cold Air Intakes
DCR 55mm TB and Spacer
DCR Top End Oil Modifier
DCR 3 Inch Catless Side Exit Exhaust
DCR BottleNeck Fix Tank Unit -w- DCR 255 Bypass Modded FP
DCR Fuel Return Kit
DCR Light Weight Battery Kit
DCR Water Injection Kit
Kinetic Wastegate Actuator
QuickWhips FMIC
Crane Spark Plug Wires
NGK LZTR6AIX-13 Plugs
180 Thermostat
Mopar Stage 1 PCM
Mopar Stage 3 Clutch
750cc Injectors
Apex Super AFC

Name:  coxttsrt6.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  74.4 KB

Old 11-17-2007 | 01:28 PM
TN.Frank
|
Professional

Looks like max. torque is around 5300 rpm, if you're dropping 1000 rpm/gear(just as an example) then you'd want to shift at around 6300rpm, well below the stock rev. limiter setting so you'd really not have to change it. Only reason for higher rev limiter setting would be in top gear for max. speed, in a drag race you'd not have to worry about it.
Those are some VERY healthy numbers from a 4 cyl. , heck I've seen small block V8's not make those numbers.

Old 11-17-2007 | 01:43 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

Ok. I admit some of what I said was wrong/opinionated. but I was only going off what others have said

like a 122 WHP on a radical built on a 2.0L

the R/T makes 150 CRANK HP
the stock neon 2.0 makes 132 CRANK HP

I was talking about wheel HP not crank

I had only heard about needing to MS for any kind of turbo on a 2.0L

the blocks are simmilar buy they are different. you still cant use 2.4L manifolds on a 2.0 without an adapter plate. so they are different, though simmilar
and the heads are different too, one SOHC and one's DOHC. totally different design, dontcha think?

its true you might be able to get 200 crank HP out of a 2.0 without turbo but damn near impossile to get 200 Wheel HP out of a 2.0 without a turbo or nos (the SRT4 only makes 215-250 (2005) at the crank, stock)

and if you have an MTX you should be able compete with a 1.6-2.0L as long as they're stock as well and are a good driver. but to beat mustang. c'mon! I have not heard of a 2.0L N/A neon beating a mustang

if you can prove any of this wrong then let me know

Old 11-17-2007 | 02:05 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Kalevra
Ok. I admit some of what I said was wrong/opinionated. but I was only going off what others have said

like a 122 WHP on a radical built on a 2.0L

the R/T makes 150 CRANK HP
the stock neon 2.0 makes 132 CRANK HP

I was talking about wheel HP not crank
Why are you even brining up the CRANK powr numbers? We're all talking about WHP and like I said, an R/T still makes more then 122WHP STOCK. How is that a radical build by any stretch?

the blocks are simmilar buy they are different. you still cant use 2.4L manifolds on a 2.0 without an adapter plate. so they are different, though simmilar
and the heads are different too, one SOHC and one's DOHC. totally different design, dontcha think?
Ok smart ***. I already said they were different blocks, but still very similar. And I never said anything about the heads being the same, so why would you even bring them up when we're talking about the cylinder block, not the cylinder head?

its true you might be able to get 200 crank HP out of a 2.0 without turbo but damn near impossile to get 200 Wheel HP out of a 2.0 without a turbo or nos (the SRT4 only makes 215-250 (2005) at the crank, stock)
Your finally right about something, it is extremely difficult to get 200WHP N/A out of the 2.0L engine. But why are you brining up the SRT-4's forced induction power numbers when your compaing N/A power? Like Graphite has stated over and over, and proven over and over. You can make the same power on the 2.0 with the same turbo as the SRT-4, with less boost. Yet, you still go on the band wagon that the 2.4 is a superior engine ine very respect "because it was built for a turbo". Too bad the only major thing that makes the 2.4 block stand out over the 2.0 block stock are the damn conencting rods and lower CR pistons. Wow, it would be impossible to add forged rods and low compression pistons to a 2.0 .

and if you have an MTX you should be able compete with a 1.6-2.0L as long as they're stock as well and are a good driver. but to beat mustang. c'mon! I have not heard of a 2.0L N/A neon beating a mustang

if you can prove any of this wrong then let me know
I dont even know what your talking about when you say "compete wiyjh a 1.6L-2.0L"...

As for the Mustang, why is it impossible to beat a Mustang? Aside from the new V6 Stangs which run low 15's, all previous V6 Mustangs are easilly beat. Beating a V8 N/A? Good luck, but not entirely impossible. Though, I dont consider it shameful that a 4.6L Eight Cylinder engine produces more power and is faster then a 2.0L Four Cylinder engine natually aspirated. Do you?

Old 11-17-2007 | 02:21 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 03neonRT

Why are you even brining up the CRANK powr numbers? We're all talking about WHP and like I said, an R/T still makes more then 122WHP STOCK. How is that a radical build by any stretch?
how much WHP do R/Ts make? and I'm going off what i've read.

Ok smart ***. I already said they were different blocks, but still very similar. And I never said anything about the heads being the same, so why would you even bring them up when we're talking about the cylinder block, not the cylinder head?
the guy also asked about the head. he asked if the 2.0 and the 2.4 were the same engine essentially. that's where the head comes in

Your finally right about something, it is extremely difficult to get 200WHP N/A out of the 2.0L engine. But why are you brining up the SRT-4's forced induction power numbers when your compaing N/A power? Like Graphite has stated over and over, and proven over and over. You can make the same power on the 2.0 with the same turbo as the SRT-4, with less boost. Yet, you still go on the band wagon that the 2.4 is a superior engine ine very respect "because it was built for a turbo". Too bad the only major thing that makes the 2.4 block stand out over the 2.0 block stock are the damn conencting rods and lower CR pistons. Wow, it would be impossible to add forged rods and low compression pistons to a 2.0 .
I brought up the F/I power numbers to prove that without boost or nos that it's damn near impossible with 2.0L engines to reach 200 WHP.
and I never said it was impossible to change over the rods and pistons.. so where did you get that? the DOHC is, in my opinion superior to a SOHC. and though you can make the same HP with less boost with the 2.0 has to do with the 2.0L higher compression ratio as well, then boosting on top of that.

I dont even know what your talking about when you say "compete wiyjh a 1.6L-2.0L"...

As for the Mustang, why is it impossible to beat a Mustang? Aside from the new V6 Stangs which run low 15's, all previous V6 Mustangs are easilly beat. Beating a V8 N/A? Good luck, but not entirely impossible. Though, I dont consider it shameful that a 4.6L Eight Cylinder engine produces more power and is faster then a 2.0L Four Cylinder engine natually aspirated. Do you?
sorry about the confusion. I dont really consider a V6 a true mustang, it's the 'econo-stang' to me, smaller engine, more MPG, less of a price, less power. if you want to beat a mustang then you want to beat a V8.

Old 11-17-2007 | 02:41 PM
TN.Frank
|
Professional

I'll say it again. The reason that I talk Crank HP and not WHP is because all the manufactures talk HP at the Crank, all the aftermarket parts you buy will talk HP at the Crank generally and that's how we always did it "back in the day". When you pulled along side a guy and ask what he was running and he said "A 350 horse 327 small block" you know it was 350 HP at the crank, not at the wheels. Today, with all the guys having access to chassie dynos WHP is becoming more and more standard but "back in the day" most small shops only had motor dynos so you tested the engine on a stand with the dyno, not in the car.
As for beating the Mustang. Not sure what he's running as far as engine but time wise he's running a 9.5 sec. 1/8th at around 95 mph. I'm sure with a bit of tweaking I can get into the mid-9's since stock I'm suppose to be running mid-10's. I'll just have to wait and see in March when the track opens back up what my numbers are then add "go fast" stuff to improve them. Also, for every 100 lbs I can take off of the car I can pick up 1/10th of a sec. so if I can drop just 100 lbs that'll be 1/10th quicker.

Old 11-17-2007 | 02:56 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: TN.Frank

I'll say it again. The reason that I talk Crank HP and not WHP is because all the manufactures talk HP at the Crank, all the aftermarket parts you buy will talk HP at the Crank generally and that's how we always did it "back in the day". When you pulled along side a guy and ask what he was running and he said "A 350 horse 327 small block" you know it was 350 HP at the crank, not at the wheels. Today, with all the guys having access to chassie dynos WHP is becoming more and more standard but "back in the day" most small shops only had motor dynos so you tested the engine on a stand with the dyno, not in the car.
As for beating the Mustang. Not sure what he's running as far as engine but time wise he's running a 9.5 sec. 1/8th at around 95 mph. I'm sure with a bit of tweaking I can get into the mid-9's since stock I'm suppose to be running mid-10's. I'll just have to wait and see in March when the track opens back up what my numbers are then add "go fast" stuff to improve them. Also, for every 100 lbs I can take off of the car I can pick up 1/10th of a sec. so if I can drop just 100 lbs that'll be 1/10th quicker.
ok, I would say hes running a v6. that's my Opinion . have fun with stripping her down I know people who strip and strip and strip more just to gain a 1/10 a second. I mean, yeah' it's a lot of time in a race but I know people who strip the ride down every week (even after it's been striped) to get alittle more weight out. it's ridicules and kinda funny, yet sad at the same time when he only gets 10lbs out of it.

do the mods first, then strip when you've exhausted all mods possible IMO

Old 11-17-2007 | 05:47 PM
GrApHite03

my CR was less than an SRT-4's... not by much, but i calculated just under 8:1

Old 11-17-2007 | 06:47 PM
2004neonR/T
Professional

So I drive a R/T my CR is 9.8:1 Say I wanted to bolt on a turbo run it at say 6 psi would you tell me too replace the pistons with lower CR and why???

Quick Reply: How much HP could I expect?