2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

mustang vs neon?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 12:34 PM
blackflame
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mustang vs neon?

So this mustang came pulled up to me. Just some punk kid who got a mustang because thats the only fast car he knows of. He rolled his window down and asked how much horsepower I had and when I told him he kinda laughed. Yeah, neons don't have the power...but they are light. So I flew by him and slowed down and then he flew by me. It really didn't look like he was accelerating that fast and I would have raced but he got off at the next exit.

So I figured he would have won. But then I was looking at the specs for the 1999 mustang(looked a lot like his). I knew he didn't have the cobra because I can tell there is a cobra coming before I even see it. They are very distinct. I don't think it was a GT either. The specs were 190hp @ 5,250rpm with 220tq. It weighs about 3200lbs. Just by the sound of the shifting and his driving...im pretty sure it was an atx.

I still think he would have won. But I think it would have been pretty close. If he added another 200lbs i think i could have got him but what do you guys think?

EDIT: btw, I'm MTX. pretty much stock, CAI and MM inserts.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:51 PM
GrApHite03
Default RE: mustang vs neon?

one tail pipe or two? one you may win but it will be close. two tail pipes and you will lose bad.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:13 PM
AirJordan

The V6 mustangs aren't very quick at all, I think it would be pretty close.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:35 PM
TN.Frank
Professional

There's a guy running one of the new style 'Stangs('06 I guess) at are local 1/8th mile. He's running in the 9.5's at roughly 85 mph. This my personal quest to beat him, LOL. I think once I get some traction issues fixed(add an LSD, .394 gears, lighten flywheel and better clutch set up) then add a few "power adders" like a header and freeflow cat, UDP and maybe a Comp 200 to my otherwise stock 2.0L head I should be right there knockin' at his door and with any luck I'll even be a bit quicker. HP is nice but if it's bolted into a pig of a car it won't matter as much as less HP in a lighter car. HP/Lb is where the real "rubber meets the road" so to speak. I'm supprised at just how quick these little Neons are, now if they'd just come out with a replacement PCM/ECM so we can **** can that damn NGC system we'd really be flying.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:57 PM
lblackneon
Champion

ORIGINAL: GrApHite03

one tail pipe or two? one you may win but it will be close. two tail pipes and you will lose bad.
Although I have seen several v6 mustangs with aftermarket exhaust systems consisting of 2 tail pipes, that's what I'm wondering. The v6s still sound like Mustangs with no *****.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:45 PM
contagious19
Champion

i raced a 1999 V6 mustang before. he was stock and i hade my header and MMI. i gave him a little less than half a car length to begin. we took off and 1st gear we were even and 2nd gear i was passing him. once third gear hit he didnt catch up anymore. he flagged me down and we were talking and he was surprised how my car was able to beat him. lol, and as 4 my buddies V8 GT. wen we went to da track, we had similar times, he ran a 16.3 and i ran a 16.6 so dat goes to show u, and he has a K&N short ram.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:28 PM
GrApHite03

ORIGINAL: TN.Frank

There's a guy running one of the new style 'Stangs('06 I guess) at are local 1/8th mile. He's running in the 9.5's at roughly 85 mph. This my personal quest to beat him, LOL. I think once I get some traction issues fixed(add an LSD, .394 gears, lighten flywheel and better clutch set up) then add a few "power adders" like a header and freeflow cat, UDP and maybe a Comp 200 to my otherwise stock 2.0L head I should be right there knockin' at his door and with any luck I'll even be a bit quicker. HP is nice but if it's bolted into a pig of a car it won't matter as much as less HP in a lighter car. HP/Lb is where the real "rubber meets the road" so to speak. I'm supprised at just how quick these little Neons are, now if they'd just come out with a replacement PCM/ECM so we can **** can that damn NGC system we'd really be flying.
non-NGC cars are not making big power N/A either... Don't be so quick to blame the NGC. Look at my sig... my NGC made power. N/A & neons should not be together in the same sentence. Unless you got **** loads of money, boost is what you need to make a neon fast.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:51 PM
blackflame
Captain

I'm pretty sure it was one. I didn't hear it make any noise at all. With two pipes you can usually hear it. It was dark so i couldn't really see. Where can I get info on NGC? I have googled it and found nothing. I have no idea what it is.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:11 PM
GrApHite03

It's the Next Generation Controller that controls most, if not all, 2003+ Dodges and other manufacturers also. There are plenty threads about it on other neon forums. Your best way of researching it is to get a hold of the FSM for the 03+ neons/srt-4s (PL platform). It goes into great detail on how the system(s) work in the vehicle.

Be aware that on the other forums there is alot of "hear say" and not much fact. There is fact, you just have sift through the BS to find it. I'm sure you'll see my screen name in almost all of the threads. I was told i could not make power both with N/A (minimum) and with boost (high). As you may have heard, i did both.

When i say you can't make power with N/A, i'm talking big power without breaking the bank. I've yet to see a N/A 2nd gen with more than 160whp. Frank will be able to get enough to beat that mustang at the local track, but not much further. He is also on the right track, speaking about power to weight. the NGC does have alot of controll, but there are things it can not control. Got to think outside the box. weight redux, cams, higher compression, gearing, etc...

k3v

Old 12-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Mat00ES
Captain

I took a v6 stang, idk if it was atx or mtx. It had a huge *** tach with a shift light, also had a fartcan.

Mat

Quick Reply: mustang vs neon?