wide rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:24 AM
noen_newbe
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wide rims

ok so im on victoria tires.com
and they say 18 x 9.5 inch rims will fit an srt 4 so i dont see why a 17 x 9 inch rim wouldnt

i dont have an srt 4 but i want to do 18 x 9.5 in the back and 17x9 in the front i will be chaning the suspention first
i dont care if i have to rol the fendors but i got to have these rims wide i love that look and i think it will handle great.
help me out here with a deffinate answer

Old 01-22-2008, 09:51 AM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker
Default RE: wide rims

inner fender well is bigger on the srt4's than the neons, nothing over 8.5 for a regular neon or else you will get rubbing.
OR
You can get those wheels get longer wheel studs and get a couple wheel spacers from modern performance

Old 01-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why the hell do you want tires that wide...?! are you kidding me... i mean for a monster truck neon i can understand but you will make your car soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much slower if you put wheels that wide on there... as they are prolly gonna be upwards of 25-30lbs without the tire and air each.... but w/e man g/l have fun

Old 01-22-2008, 06:31 PM
GrApHite03

^^ how much does air weigh?

anyway, to hell with the width... why would you want 18" in the back and 17" in the front?

Old 01-22-2008, 09:28 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

Its the LOOK, to make it seem like a rwd car

Old 01-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: GrApHite03

anyway, to hell with the width... why would you want 18" in the back and 17" in the front?
air at room temp weighs 0.0807 lbs pounds per cubic foot @ STP.... the air in the tire on the wheel he would get would prolly weigh about 1-3 lbs (depending on how much PSI he puts in them) at STP.... thats a good amount of weight if u ask me... and as it gets colder air weighs more

Proof:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ai...ght-d_600.html

Old 01-22-2008, 10:20 PM
GrApHite03

ORIGINAL: Izero

ORIGINAL: GrApHite03

air at room temp weighs 0.0807 lbs pounds per cubic foot @ STP.... the air in the tire on the wheel he would get would prolly weigh about 1-3 lbs (depending on how much PSI he puts in them) at STP.... thats a good amount of weight if u ask me... and as it gets colder air weighs more

Proof:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ai...ght-d_600.html
Thats all fine and dandy and i am aware, but look at an 18" rim and a low profile tire that will be used to offset the odometer diference on a neon. Can you sit there and tell me that there is 37 square feet of air? (3lbs) Even at one pound you are talking 12.4 sqaure feet which could possible be found in all 4 tires. Even at that you are talking 4 oz per tire which in the grand scheme of things is nothing.

I could be wrong and please correct me i am... my algebra and pi times this and that is a little rusty. Algebra class was over 10 years ago. lol

Old 01-22-2008, 10:36 PM
GrApHite03

another thing to add is how technical do you want to get? We can factor in atmospheric pressure and other variable. Or we can keep it simple and think about how your average scale works. Think about the grocery store... If you weigh your bananas at the counter will you get a cheaper price if you were to vacuum out all the air or blow up the bag with air.

Flat tires or full tires on a car... put it on the scale and i can bet they weigh the same.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:26 PM
noen_newbe
Veteran

wow my first post to get so much attention lol
anyway i like the look and i though 17 in the front and 18 in the back i though it would give it that staggered look
with this rims im looking for just looks nothing more since around here they are just a bunch of ricers and no one wants to race and all so i figure since i got 5 points and if i go to the track imma have my stealies so yea
http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t...t+rear+knuckle
that thread says i would need the rear knuckles and all of a srt4 . like if i wont work its ok ill just make it a lil thinner but i love wide rims and i honestly beleave that if i have wider rims the car with the help of other stuff will handle wonderfull.
if i am wrong just correct me we are here to learn right

Quick Reply: wide rims