Oil change ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:04 PM
ewetho
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil change ?

ORIGINAL: AirWolf

Everyone has there own op on what brand of oil fliters and oil they use so your just going to have to go to your autoparts store and ask them what brand is there best and still cheap and oil and go from there.
Basically true. That is why I give a few example so you know what your looking at with filters. No use paying 10 bucks for what is basically the same filter as in the $3 box. For the price te Motorcraft is a good buy if you like oversized filter (Fits great and looks like it belongs). And then for oil if you just feel good with Valvoline or Pennzoil or Autozone brand...... OR if you like the pretty bottle of what ever brand yout hink looks good........ As long as it meets SM GF-4 your OK. 5W-30 or even 10W-30 as long as above 0F most of the time and worry about other things. Like Semi-synthetic or Full Synthetic oils great. Make you feel warm and Fuzzy great.

Want a budget buy, find what is on sale and find a cheap filter (no Frams please) like an E-Core Champ Labs filter and your good.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:03 AM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

I went to advance auto and got 6 qts of Valvoline synpower full synthetic 5w-30 buy one get one and a pureone (same as a mobil 1) filter, changed the oil and runs nice and spend 23 and change. cant beat that. I even have 1 and 1/3rd a qt left! lol

Old 01-24-2008, 09:39 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ewetho

ORIGINAL: 12 volt

here are some comparisons on oil

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

interesting filter stuff
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

Oil comparison is JUNK!!! Debunked months ago as it has no effect on how it will do lubricating a modern engine AT ALL! The four ball test will go off the chart if you use bleach though!!! Not good oil though. While the article still floats around the mag even had to rescind its findings as BUNK!!!

well i guess since your the expert on this you can explain what is so "BUNK" about it. Seem like a very simple test that can help determine what oil provides the best anit-friction properties.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:16 PM
TN.Frank
Professional

Not changing the subject BUT running the FL-300 how much more oil do you need to add to make up for the larger filter? Sounds like it'd be a better way to go then a stock size STP. Also, since my '99 Caravan(2.4L) and the '05 2.0L Neon use the same filter would the FL-300 also work on the Caravan? I'd like to just stock up on one filter for both the van and car to keep it simple. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:23 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: TN.Frank

Not changing the subject BUT running the FL-300 how much more oil do you need to add to make up for the larger filter? Sounds like it'd be a better way to go then a stock size STP. Also, since my '99 Caravan(2.4L) and the '05 2.0L Neon use the same filter would the FL-300 also work on the Caravan? I'd like to just stock up on one filter for both the van and car to keep it simple. Thanks.
I use the Mobile1 filter for the Viper and it adds an additional .5 quarts of oil capacity. I would imagine the "FL-300" is similar...

Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

i use NAPA gold or silver filters and NAPA brand oil. i have been usingNAPA stuff for at least ten years and put tons of mileage on my cars. i drive like a bat outta hell and have never had an engine failure. The reason i use NAPA is because i have an account there and its easier to get everything at the same place. some folks may say NAPA sucks, but they are VERY helpfull and always give me the right parts.

point is, find something you like and stick with it. remember oil has a rating and it must meet a minimum standard, so as long as you are using what the manufacturer says then its just fine.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:20 PM
ewetho
All Star

I find that with the FL300 you can just about dump in a full 5 Quarts. The overall height difference is about .5" from the Viper/Caravan whatever else uses it size filter.

The problem with the test that THEY admitted later was that has NO relevance to an engine. Motor oil functions on the basis of flow and pressure. You really have NONE there. So pointless. Heck Mobil1 had been shown to perform well in extended intervals for hundreds of thousands of miles and yet sucks at that test like most other oils. Royal Purple does pretty good but shows only fair on a used oil analysis.

It is not even used for predicting the capabilities of the oil by API, SAE, ILSAC, ACEA shall we go on? They don't use it because it is meaningless. Very visual and looks impressive but like I have said according to that test bleach would be the motor oil of choice (Your motor would FAIL!!!) but it is not a good lube. Many things to consider and balance. According to that Mobil1 would be worse for your engine than Pennzoil Semi-Synthetic. Heck even Pennzoil would admit that Mobil1 is superior being a full synthetic and long term torture tests prove it (They would rather you used Pennzoil Platinum though).

That test is a novelty really.

According to test data in that article Redline would suck at protecting race engines yet tear down after tear down, UOA after UOA find it is simply one of the best oils in a race car available. Many who use Mobil1 or Penn. Platinum or even Amsoil would only use that stuff in a Racing Application. Yet accorind to that Valvoline DuraBlend would kicks it's butt. Uhh NO WAY IN HELL!!!

Old 09-06-2008, 12:02 PM
djshire

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have several questions, and I know that on forums, its better to bump an old thread then to make a new one.

First off, I have a 2002 Dodge Neon with 61K on it, and if any of you have seen any of the threads I've made, I hate this car because it likes to break in very stupid ways, but it has to last at least another year before it can be replaced. Also, I live in Southeast Michigan, so any advice regarding how the climate would affect my car according to what oil I use would be nice.

Is using synthetic blends a bad thing?

Will changing my oil cause that rattling sound that I get from my rocker arm assembly to go away?

Is it a good idea to use such an oil as Valvoline Max Life, or will it not matter?

The reason why I ask is because I am quite poor and right now, Autozone is having a deal where for $16.99, you can get 5 quarts of either Valvoline Max Life or Valvoline DuraBlend and an FRAM oil filter, and my car needs an oil change.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:35 AM
N30N
Record Breaker

wtf is airwolf doing back???
will someone tell me why and how...
whos ***** did she suck???

personally i would use a mobil 1 fully synthetic oil
and mobil 1 filter...5w-30 would be best with you and
i've never had any problems...so i wish you luck..
i know oil can be expensive but i found a sale a few weeks ago
at pep boys it was buy 5 quarts of oil for 30 bucks
and you get a free mobil filter also and a 5$ rebate..
so just shop around and you'll be fine

Last edited by N30N; 09-07-2008 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:43 AM
djmagic
Record Breaker

i run a blend in mine so i would say no prob. Also N3ON this is an old thread. Those airwolf posts are from a long time ago

Quick Reply: Oil change ?