2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Flooded engine *NOW FIXED*

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Dorin_82
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flooded engine

well, if u drive that pontiac's steering pump without steering liquid, it's like driving a car without motor oil.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:59 AM
danjmcbride
Rookie

I'm assuming it's flooded . . . don't know for sure. From what I've read, excessive *slow* cranking of an engine combined with the cold temperatures effect on the fuel can lead to flooding. It was 35 below the night before the trouble, and my cars engine wasn't provided with any heat for the night . . . leading to extremely slow cranking in the morning. And it's certainly not flooded with water since . . . it's too cold for there to be puddles for that to happen.

The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is a frozen gas line, but with 3/4 of a tank of gas and heet that's unlikely.

It's not giving me any codes other than P 1684 which means the battery connection has been broken recently (correct me if I'm wrong).

At best I'd consider myself an amatuer at this, so any other opinions are more than welcome.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

uhhhh bro if it gets that cold up there you really should think about getting a dry cell battery...... just a thought though.... and as for a block heater.... they aren't that expensive they are just REALLLLLY HARD TO FIND...i am pretty sure they were a factory option so yea... might want to get that looked into if you have one already.... if not i'd say look around on the net for tips on starting ur car when its that cold..... if u or ur neighbor has a heated garage ask them if you can use it to warm your car up and try to start it good luck and i hope you get it started

Old 01-28-2008, 01:28 AM
danjmcbride
Rookie

I'll have to look into the dry cell battery.

I do though have a block heater installed on my car. There's a wireing malfunction somewhere . . . when I plug it in it goes "CLICK" and blows the outlet. Once I get it up and running I'm going to get that taken care of. You can get an oil pan heater, block heater and battery heater . . . neither of which is hard to find up here.

I've been looking around on the net, and everything I've found has already been stated in this thread.

Thanks again . . . we'll see where this goes . . .

Old 01-28-2008, 01:50 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would say its a bad ground then..... or your circuit is complete so the power is going right back to the outlet... i always thought you were suppose to use the car's battery with a block heater btw... maybe im wrong? either way you should try to trace the wires for it make sure its grounded properly

Old 01-28-2008, 01:55 AM
danjmcbride
Rookie

Well, as far as I know all of the heaters I mentioned are aftermarket (I could be wrong, or maybe what I know as a block heater and what you know as a block heater are different somehow) . . . mine didn't come with the block heater, I had it installed after the purchase.

Winters up here are pretty harsh, and anything hooked up to the battery will drain it pretty quickly in the cold, so they're rigged to plug into an outlet for power.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:32 PM
danjmcbride
Rookie
Default RE: Flooded engine *NEW QUESTION*

I don't have a service manual for my car and am having a hard time finding a diagram of the fuse boxes so . . . any help with locating the fuel pump fuse?

Old 01-28-2008, 10:55 PM
danjmcbride
Rookie
Default RE: Flooded engine *NEW QUESTION*

Upon closer inspection I found than I'm a moron. Diagram is right there under the lid . . . so nevermind.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:19 AM
danjmcbride
Rookie

Took a space heater and pulling the fuse like mentioned above.

Let the engine heat up until the oil was a liquid again, then pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked until the engine threw the P1282 code. Plugged the fuse back in and cranked away some more. Didn't sound too happy when it started, but it's idling pretty smoothly now.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 01-29-2008, 12:53 AM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

if it happens again... cant you press the peddle down to WOT and the engine goes into a Clear cylender mode, the fuel pump doesnt engage and no fuel enters the chamber and the pistons clear the fuel out?

Quick Reply: Flooded engine *NOW FIXED*