2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

04 SXT extremly unstable in snow????

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 PM
ricerchik02
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 04 SXT extremly unstable in snow????

I doubt there is anything wrong with your car. My ride has winter tires and it has been a beast in the snow. Even so, when the roads get especially snowy or icy, my car will start to swing to the sides if I don't keep the speed down. Get some winter tires if anything, but mostly you probably need to slow down when the Neon starts to act like that.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:44 AM
96ACR*
Veteran

learn to drive in the snow and you should be good to go

Old 02-19-2008, 08:19 AM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

-Another one for the tires. My '05 SXT handled so-so in the snow too. Now that I bought new Cooper CS4's the car handles great. It's truly a night and day difference between the stock Eagle LS's and the CS4's. Not sure what tires you have but that definitely sounds like the problem. Mine are stillthe stock size185/60R15s.

L8R,
Matt D.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:17 AM
blackflame
Captain

i gotta say its your driving bro. My rear tires have almost no tred at all and I go faster than most people and I almost never have problems. I mean, yeah, my back end does swing out more than it would with good tires but thats only in turns.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:40 AM
ricerchik02
Captain

Mine swings out while driving straight. But only if I'm goin too fast for the road conditions.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:07 AM
AirWolf

What ride does well in the winter other than 4X4s and allwheel drive rides my sxt did fine last yr we didnt get much snow or ice last winter but this winter has been crap for almost everyone who gets snow and ice . My new tires are mostly performance even though they say all season they seem to do not so well in snow and iceuntil salt is down . My hydroedges did much better than my sports.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:16 AM
blackflame
Captain

AWD is way overrated. If you just let off the gas pedal your car is equal to an AWD car. All that has to do is help acceleration. In some cases I think AWD can be worse in the snow. This year I have seen one FWD car off the road and like 5 AWD cars. In my neon if my drive tire spins I just lose that one tires traction but if for some reason an AWD car loses traction it can lose all 4 tires and just spin out. My uncles stratus sxt is awful in the snow and I think its from the LSD in it. Because when he spins his front tires his braking, steering, and accel is all gone. For me its just half my braking and steering. Thats my theory anyways.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:36 PM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker

i drove in snow over my front bumper today.... car was great!! then i hit a i big ice patch and spun..... but i have nver spun it before.....

i say get some good snow tires and slow down..... oh and in snow the skinnyer the better cause you can cut thru it, just like a dune buggy in the sand. if ya notice the people you are passing are never sliding at all..... its cause they are going slow not cause their car is better in the snow then yours

Old 02-19-2008, 02:19 PM
blackflame
Captain

ORIGINAL: NHARINTON

i drove in snow over my front bumper today.... car was great!! then i hit a i big ice patch and spun..... but i have nver spun it before.....

i say get some good snow tires and slow down..... oh and in snow the skinnyer the better cause you can cut thru it, just like a dune buggy in the sand. if ya notice the people you are passing are never sliding at all..... its cause they are going slow not cause their car is better in the snow then yours
Yeah, I agree. But still, there is a point where it really doesn't matter how good your tires are. If you have a good 12" of snow your tires will maybe cut through an inch, if that at all. They cut through an inch of snow and then what? they hit the other 11 inches of snow and all they have done is move snow and get back on snow ya know?

Old 02-19-2008, 02:53 PM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker

I drove thismorning in about 10' and at about 25-35mph it was no problem..... we the windsheild wipers were.... but yeah granted at a point nothing will help ya.... witch is why at about 5 mph i spun.... black ice suxs... but i would rather their be a few inches of snow then just ice

mines a pain cause its lowered and has the lip kit so the front end is only about 3' off the ground so i basically have a built in plow.... kinda nice sometimes but now i need to repaint the lip kit

Quick Reply: 04 SXT extremly unstable in snow????