2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2000 Neon: stalls, won't crank, then restarts

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:39 AM
RKuczek
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Neon: stalls, won't crank, then restarts

I have a 2000 Neon that has been stalling out on me recently. All stalls are when the engine is warm, the car is moving at low or idle rpm; such as coming to a stop at a light, slowing to turn a corner, etc.

there is no rough running or sputtering - just total dead car - no electrical power at all - when I try to start car - nothing - won't crank - no electrical power. after a few minutes - it starts and runs fine. on two occassions - it then stalled again after a few minutes running - onothers - it ran fine for the rest of the day.

I have cleaned and tightened battery terminals/cables - so that is not a problem. Battery is fully charged and cranks car fine - when it cranks.

has stalled several times in one day - and - has run several days without stalling.

no error codes turned up from the computer

Any suggestions?

Old 04-07-2008, 11:44 AM
whtdoesitmatter
Captain
Default RE: 2000 Neon: stalls, won't crank, then restarts

crank shaft sensor could be loose or fried

Old 04-07-2008, 02:05 PM
blackflame
Captain

A lot of electrically problems all of a sudden...A lot of people are having a similar problem. The only fix to this problem I have heard is a bad ground cable. I thought I heard someone with this same problem and it was actually their battery. He had a truck and he said that he had to keep it above 2000rpm or it would stall. He got it fixed but I'm not totally sure if it was the battery.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could also be the alternator but its unlikely b/c ur battery is fully charged so i would have to say that it is prolly the crankshaft sensor too... b/c if your PCM doesn't like how the crankshaft sensor is acting it will immediately shut the car down to protect the internals....so if i were you i'd go about checking the crankshaft sensor... let us know whats up

Quick Reply: 2000 Neon: stalls, won't crank, then restarts